PDA

View Full Version : IKEA

curlytop
12-01-2000, 03:34 PM
Any opinions on IKEA out there? We don't live near a store, but the catalog has me very interested. I like the simple, natural style of baby furniture they carry. The review in the book was helpful, but I'd love more opinions! Thanks!

km
12-02-2000, 06:56 PM
I ordered the bookshelf/changing table and I love it. It will be usefull far longer than a plain old changing table would and is more stylish, and was less expensive than the dresser/changing table option (we didnt need another dresser anyway, and if you're looking for this item I thought the IKEA dresser/changing table was a good bargain)

We dont have a store near us, so we ordered it from the west coast (you order either from west coast or east coast - they have different shipping and handling and delivery charge procedures so call them both to find out what is best for your location - the closest may not be the cheapest). We've ordered other things as well and have always been pleased - easy to assemble, delivery with in a week to 10 days every time.

Sunny
12-20-2000, 06:54 PM
We are from Germany and IKEA is very popular overseas. We bought most of our furniture at IKEA and were always very satisfied. since we don't live close to a store, either and we'll try to order stuff, too.

hebgbz3
01-08-2001, 02:59 AM
You know, I just stumbled on this site, so I have yet to read the book.

My wife and I specifically shopped at IKEA Chicago for a crib, hoping to get a good deal. The prices and quality look fine, but the cribs aren't like conventional American cribs, in that they're much lower to the ground, didn't offer adjustable mattress heights, and the one side doesn't lower. We immediately thought that our backs would get sore loading and unloading a child from these cribs.

We ended up buying elsewhere, but aside from that one caveat, I'd have no problems with IKEA.

Hope this helps. If the catalog provides measurements, I'd look at them closely.

Joel

Wendi
01-09-2001, 07:26 PM
I was also interested in IKEA after receiving one of their catalogs. But after recently making a special trip (4 hour drive) to the IKEA in Chicago (Schaumberg), I was very disappointed. The selection was very limited, quality was lacking, and the height was a backache waiting to happen! However, they did have some very cute accessories. Thankfully the trip was not a waste. I found a huge selection of cribs at Babies R Us (better to test out the quality of the crib at the store then after you get home with your new baby).

cabote
02-23-2001, 03:35 PM
We recently moved away from the Houston, TX area where I was
able to shop IKEA regularly. I loved the store for small items
like kitchen supplies, hangers, some home decor etc... However, when it comes to the larger furniture purchases, we were not as willing to buy. All of the wood furniture is in pine which is a soft,easily damaged wood. My husband hates the "knobby knots" that are very visiable in pine. However, when it comes to children's furniture, I think that some of the are great buys and are fine for children's rooms where they likely will receive abuse. We recently purchased one of their shelf units for the baby's room. I think it is great. Stick with quality brands for the major items (cribs, dressers, rockers) like those recommended in the BB book. I would not purchase the crib from IKEA-looks unsafe. The children's table and chairs are so cute as well and fine for young ones.

gentlemommy
02-24-2001, 03:29 PM
We bought my son's dresser/changing table from IKEA, and I liked it well enough...except that I'm short (5' even) and the changing table height was too high and uncomfortable for me, plus, it just didn't seem long enough. I do like that it can easily be converted to dresser with hutch, and that's how we have it now. For #2, I bought a second-hand changing table for $10 at a yard sale, and I'm thrilled with it - it was cheap, is much easier on the back, and can be used as a changing table for a longer period of time. The only other comment about the IKEA dresser is that, presumably for safety reasons, the drawers only come out about half-way - maybe a smidge more, but it can be annoying. Oh, and one other nice thing about it was that it came with holes pre-drilled to bolt the dresser to the wall (again, for safety reasons). I didn't like their cribs - there's no way I could've comfortably reached down to pick up and lay down a baby, and it didn't matter anyway once we decided to co-sleep. ;) I do think that, for the price, the dresser is still a good buy.

OTOH, as someone mentioned, I love their kiddie table and chairs sets; my ds has the wood one with chairs, and it's great! They're reasonably priced (compared to Step 2 and Little Tikes, for example) and seem to be much sturdier. Plus, it helped that another family with older kids was there to tell me that they'd bought one years earlier, and it had endured all manner of abuse, and had come through it quite well! Many of their kids' toys are nice, too. My ds has blocks and quite a few other items, and their stubby crayons are great for younger toddlers just learning how to color.

I haven't bought any other furniture from them, so I can't comment on that, but I agree that pine furniture can be problematic with regard to nicks and dings.

JakesMom
03-11-2001, 01:25 AM
I also headed to Schaumberg to check out IKEA in person, and while I think they have a lot of great deals on accessories, rugs, and kitchenware, I'm not a fan of their furniture. Everything looks very cool, but even the floor models tend to be pretty rickety.

I shelled out for a lower-end Pali crib and changing table, and they are gorgeous, sturdy and very well-made. We are very, very happy with it and hope to have many happy years using it!

- Jodi

curlytop
04-30-2001, 03:06 PM
Well, despite the opinions we got we went ahead and purchased the IKEA baby furniture (the Trogen design). We got the crib (that converts to a toddler bed), dresser with changing table top and bookcase for $400 including shipping! I really love it and so does our one month old little girl! I think the quality is good and it is definitely safe. We have received so many compliments on it from the endless stream of visitors we have had! Just thought I would let you know...

wahoobabies
05-28-2001, 08:31 PM
IKEA HAS RECALLED THE NARVIK CRIB.

My husband and I went to the store two weekends ago, and they stated that they had recalled the Narvik cribs due to the slats being slightly too far apart. Considering I subscribe to the CPSC newsletter, researched the crib before making the special trip up there, and checked their website, I did not find this out until going to the store. I even called CPSC afterwards and they did not know anything about the recall. I thought all parents who may have bought the Narvik crib in the past, or anyone who is considering buying it should know. On the positive side, it sounds like Ikea is the one initiating the recall.

As far as I know, all of the other cribs are fine, but we are going to purchase a Simmons crib instead. All of their other baby furniture seemed very sturdy and a good deal as well.