PDA

View Full Version : Dutalier Glider

Steph
01-26-2001, 05:23 PM
Unfortunately I am not able to test out any gliders, (I've been on bed rest since my 23rd week of gestation). We're interested in getting a Dutalier, however I'm reluctant since I can't try them out prior to ordering. I'm 5' tall, so I'm looking for suggestions from other petite moms regarding which model(s) "fit" the best. Thanks!

alexsharp
01-26-2001, 08:43 PM
We ended up getting a Shermag glider. It seemed to be the same in quality. I am 5'3" and the Shermag we got seems to fit great. I did notice some of the gliders - especially one Dutalier had alot of padding and really hugged you while you were in it. My Shermag seems to be not too wide - some of the gliders we tried. I would highly recommend buying the ottoman with your chair - it helps with my height disadvantage. Unfortunately it helps tremendously to try out the chair first. If you end up buying one with out trying it out first - remember to check out return policies (I understand Baby Depot is not that great in that department.)

Steph
01-28-2001, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the tip. I know Sears carries Shermag - any other suggestions and where to purchase?

srlarsen
02-08-2001, 03:39 PM
I recently tested out the Dutailier gliders at a local store. I am 5'2" tall and the one that fit me the best was model #11070. It is a round back maple glider. It sells for $278 at www.goodnightben.com. That was the best price I found and you can order the finish and fabric that you want. You cannot place the order online, however, you have to call them. But their prices were really reasonable compared even to www.babycatalog.com. There is a BIG difference in how the gliders fit, so I was glad I tested them out first. But this one fit me really well, others didn't contour to my back as well and hit my neck/head in different positions (My husband is over 6 feet tall, however, so I don't know how well it will fit him!!!). Also, this glider has the cushions on the arms. I did not order the ottoman, and that will save you around $100. I didn't like the feel of both the glider and the ottoman moving, so I will just order a nursing footstool for $30-$40.
Hopefully this will help you out! The Dutailier brand is definitely worth the money, from what I saw at the store. Good luck with the glider search and your pregnancy!

JakesMom
03-11-2001, 01:47 AM
We got the Dutalier Mission-style glider & ottoman in leather. (It took four months of nagging my husband, but he finally gave in and now he loves it.) I'm 5'6", hubby is 5'11" and we're both very comfy in it. I like the sturdy, wide arms and tall height. I use it with a Boppy to support Jake and it's really comfy.

They're pretty darn expensive and usually custom-made, so if you can at all try one out, I recommend it. If not, send a sister or friend who is close in size to try different types and report back to you!

We ordered ours from ComfortLiving.com (for about $400 less than local retailers). It took about 12 weeks to get the chair, and a mistake from the Canadian factory meant we waited an additional month for the ottoman.

A few things to think about:

- Right now (during your pregnancy) you might be incredibly uncomfortable. Pregnancy throws your entire body alignment out of whack, and it's going to feel like a long time before you're out of pretzel mode. Your comfort now, and even more after baby arrives, is paramount. Right now you might think a reclining rocker with a gliding ottoman is a silly expense, but try to figure out breastfeeding while your hormones are doing insane things to your bone structure, you are recovering from a long day or two of body cramps (contractions) and all you can focus on is baby's comfort. Let me tell you, those first few weeks until the glider arrived were a mess of pillows everywhere while I tried to get comfortable nursing!

- Having the chair still glide while reclining is really helpful, especially if your baby is more comfortable upright on your shoulder (Jake was). Sitting up straight while holding the baby this way can be really exhausting -- but leaning back and gliding while you hold baby is very cozy. Add the gliding ottoman, and you'll feel like you're in heaven.

- Think about where you'll use the chair. You might want it in the nursery now, but we put ours in the family room (and chose the wood stain & fabric to coordinate). I really like it there -- I wasn't locked in the nursery when guests were over and I had to calm the baby, it looks really nice, and also Jacob didn't expect to be comforted in the nursery when we were trying to get him to sleep. Until pretty recently, we made his nursery only for sleeping and changing, and now it's like a refuge -- he calms down completely when we take him in there, even if he's cranky and not ready to sleep right away. I do think that feeding and comforting him outside of the nursery contributed to that.

- Remember the chair's use when you choose fabric type. You'll want something you think is comfortable, will suit your style, and that's durable. We have cats, so nubby fabric was out. The leather is not very "babyish," but it looks great, is easy to wipe clean, and doesn't get marked up when cats jump on it.

Good luck!!

- Jodi

Steph
03-17-2001, 12:57 PM
Thank your for all your feedback regarding the gliders. We just received a Dutalier Glider, (sleigh back style) w/nursing ottoman yesterday from BabyCatalog. I'm very pleased, especially since we purchased it sight unseen. I decided to get the extra's, i.e. the multi-position lock and nursing ottoman pull-out since my feet don't lay flat on the ground when I'm sitting all the way back in the glider. These options may not be necessary for everyone, but as a shorter framed woman, I'm glad I opted for them.

Thanks again!
Stephanie

jan
04-13-2001, 01:39 PM
For anyone interested in purchasing a dutalier glider and ottoman, you should contact babyfurnitureoutlet.com first (Canadian). The glider and ottoman we just purchased were $200 cheaper there than at goodnightben.com and comfortliving.com. plus there is no shipping or tax to the U.S. The sales people were very helpful!

Koseken
05-11-2001, 02:28 PM
LAST EDITED ON May-11-01 AT 01:29PM (Mountain)[p]I want to second "JakesMom" that a leather-covered reclining glider rocker is a great thing to have with a baby. We found one, with ottoman, at a Back store for about $750. It doesn't look like baby furniture, but then we didn't want them for the baby's rooms - we have one of them in the family room, and one in our bedroom. The leather has survived being doused with all sorts of liquids and still looks great. The chair swivels, which turns out to be very handy. The reclining feature is crucial if you want to fully enjoy those first few weeks when the baby loves to sleep on your chest.