PDA

View Full Version : Simmons crib anyone?

MarchMom01
01-27-2001, 04:19 AM
LAST EDITED ON Jan-27-01 AT 02:22AM (Mountain)[p]Hi all! I'm due in March and my husband and I are just starting to get the nursery and baby gear together, starting with the crib. (A little late??) Oh the choices!!! So far my top 3 considerations are Simmons, Childcraft or Babi Italia (most affordable for us). I read this forum and haven't seen anything on Simmons or Childcraft. If you have either brand, I need your input! Which is a better quality? Which is more stable/sturdy? Which is more durable? (I know the new Simmons have the new dropsides - the kind with hidden hardware). Is Babi Italia better than the other two?

Please advise.

Thanks a lot!
Connie

p.s. Next we go to strollers! The Combi 6600 or the Combi Ultra Savvy? The price difference is $100!

p.s.2. tip: www.coolsavings.com has a coupon for Babies R Us (maybe offline store only): 15% off any crib!!! Check it out! :)

ecarley
01-31-2001, 04:12 PM
LAST EDITED ON Jan-31-01 AT 02:13PM (Mountain)[p]I ordered my Combi 6600 last week, and it should arrive tomorrow. The higher price of the Ultra Savvy is due to the ultra-light construction and 1-touch folding, which I didn't think was worth it.

They're on sale at estyle.com for $59, and there are also coupons for $10 your first purchase. The 2001 model, the 6610, is also available for $99. Only differences are a cupholder tray for the kid and a slightly different top.

MarchMom01
01-31-2001, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll get the 6600 since it is considerably cheaper with the sale! :)

lmintzer
01-31-2001, 08:15 PM
LAST EDITED ON Jan-31-01 AT 06:17PM (Mountain)[p]Hi. I took a look at the selection of Simmons, Child Craft, and Babi Italia cribs that were at Babies-R-Us. I wasn't too impressed with the Simmons or Child Craft cribs (they almost all had exposed hardware and were a little on the rickety side). The Babi Italia cribs definitely seemed like a step up. We decided on a Pali crib, but if we hadn't, we probably would have gone with MIBB or Babi Italia.

Like the above poster, I also ordered the Combi 6600 from estyle. I had been debating between this stroller, the Peg Perego Plikmomatic, and the Combi Ultra Savvy. The 6600 was a fabulous deal. My only concern is that it doesn't fold as small as either of the other two. As far as the 6600 vs. the 6610, I don't see any reason to go with the 6610 unless you are set on a toddler tray and a matching carseat cover. The 6600 actually has the advantage of being 1 lb. lighter.

sarsah
02-04-2001, 01:39 PM
I have a Simmons "Matino II" crib for DS. I got it for around $230 at Babies R Us (also saw the same model at Baby Depot at Burlington Coat Factory, but would NEVER buy anything there -- that's another story).
The crib has the drop side (kind that you lift up and push in to lower), which I don't use too often. It's kind of noisy to use while the baby is sleeping.

This Simmons crib is one of the lowest priced cribs with this kind of drop side that we could find. We didn't want to spend a lot of money on a crib since it would be used for a fairly short time. We like this crib and have had no problems with it in the 8 months it has been used. Simmons was my first choice as far as brands of cribs and Child Craft was my second choice. I have no experiece with Babi Italia, so I can't compare it to the other two brands.

Sarah