PDA

View Full Version : Pottery Barn Kids cribs

suzinva
01-29-2001, 02:05 PM
I am trying to get info. on the cribs in the Pottery Barn Kids catalog. I think the catalog must have come out after the most recent Baby Bargains book. Are the cribs good quality? They appear to have hidden hardware, but I can't tell what mechanism the side drop uses (knee release, foot release, etc). No one at PBK customer service seemed to be able to help. If anyone has a PBK crib, have you been happy with it?

alandenisefields
01-29-2001, 07:18 PM
PBK cribs are made by Status and Simmons, both reviewed in our book. All their cribs have knee push releases. Anyone who has a PBK crib care to add some thoughts?

Alan & Denise Fields, Authors
BABY BARGAINS

daveandkelly
01-29-2001, 10:14 PM
Just a note about the Catalina Crib in the winter 2001 catalog. I found the same crib is sold @ JC Penney for $349. It too is made by Simmons. Hope this helps.

tlfeehan
01-31-2001, 06:59 PM
I too really like the cribs in the PBK catalog. I just recently found a great deal. The Catalina crib was the one I was going to purchase, but I really didn't want to pay shipping charges. I was waiting for the crib to come back in stock at the store but did a little research online. I found out that the Catalina crib is made by Simmons and is also sold by Sears by special order. The cost savings is significant, $329 as compared to PBK's $499. Sears is also having a sale from Feb 1-19th, 20% off baby furniture, making it about $265, over $200 cheaper than PBK for the same crib. They also sell matching dressers and changing tables. You have to go to the store, it is not sold over the web. Check it out!

TaraNY
06-10-2001, 05:01 PM
I visited a Pottery Barn Kids store recently and I was very disappointed in the cribs. None of them look as nice as other cribs I'd seen at similar prices. The Catalina and Classic seemed down right rickety, too.

Can't answer about the drop mechanism -- sorry.

kimberley
06-18-2001, 08:41 AM
Wondering of anyone has seen the Pottery Barn Kids Sleigh Crib at Sears or online? Is that crib a Status or a Simmons? I'd love to pay less than the $799 PBK is asking! Thanks!

jocelynhayes
06-25-2001, 04:03 PM
Before I answer your question, let me tell you a little story about PBK. I just spent the better part of an hour trying to get them to divulge the name of their crib manufacturer and they refused stating that they wish to protect the manufacturer's rights. I just wanted the info so I could check on safety information so I don't put my first born child in a crib made by a manufacturer with a history of defects.

Anyway, the Catalina crib has the foot release. The crib is a Simmons Sommerset Maple Grove Collection. You can find it lots of places - Sears, Babies R Us, JCPenny and it has high quality and is rated with an A in the Baby Bargains book.

marcia
06-26-2001, 12:41 PM
"Manufacturer's rights" my Aunt Fanny. They don't want to tell you so you can't comparison shop. Their prices are incredibly high.

bguarineri
06-27-2001, 09:17 AM
I also called the Pottery Barn customer service line & received no help on manufacturer's names. I bought the Baby Bargains book (which is well worth it) & researched the websites.

The pattern I'm seeing is that if the catalog states it's manufactured in the USA it appears to be a Simmons crib (http://www.simmonsjp.com/index.html). If it's manufactured in Canada, it seems to be a Status crib (www.statusfurniture.com).

I did notice that some stores, ie. Babies R' Us, have some exclusives on some types of cribs.

Hope this helps!
Barbara

mgupta
01-09-2002, 01:25 AM
Sorry! I've deleted my message...but choose an italian company over PBK!

Cindder
01-09-2002, 05:10 PM
I ran into the same problem, no one seemed to know who the manufacturers were. Personally, I would not buy a crib unless I knew who the manufacturer was. I have bought other furniture from PBK and thought the quality was ok for the price. I think they have great design, though. Good luck with whatever you decide.

maura
01-20-2002, 09:41 PM
Sorry! I clicked reply onthe wrong message!

Hi!

Just wanted to post another option. Little castle is getting into the business of adult rockers and gliders. they offer a chair that looks just like the pottery barn rocker but it glides and had a beautiful array of fabrics. I sat in it in a store and loved it! I think we are going to go that way instead ofthe dutalier because when the children are grown, the chair will transition easier into another room in the house and not look somuch like a nursery glider.

zacharysmom
01-31-2002, 12:31 PM
I've never really shopped PBK but a girl I work with is pg and has the cataloge here at work. Anyways, she was showing me the sleigh crib and said that was the one she wanted. It is $800 though. When my husband and I went looking for cribs, we found the Pali Renee that he really liked. It is almost identical to the PBK Sleigh crib. The only difference I see is at the bottom on the sides, it is straight and the Pali is kind of scalloped. Plus the Pali is $650 or so. A big difference. So I'd check around and see if you can find the PBK style in another line.

akc
02-05-2002, 01:21 PM
Hi - I know you said the cribs are made by Simmons, but I swear that the Catalina crib is identical to the Legacy Country Cottage crib that I just purchased. That's frustrating b/c I got the legacy in antique white but I'm not crazy about the furniture, so I'm in a tough place to try to match it (while PBK has so many accessories that would match perfectly!)

tilly2321
02-11-2002, 11:12 AM
Can you tell me more about the "Little Castle" rockers? I love the PBK ones, but want ones that glide instead of rock, but also am not crazy about the "nursery glider" look. Can you give me some more buying info on them? Thanks!
Elaine

ecarley
02-14-2002, 09:52 PM
Legacy is a line made by Child Craft. (See Baby Bargains pp 48 and 54). You might try to look at other Child Craft pieces to try to find a match.

tilly2321
03-27-2002, 09:26 PM
Hello,
I am looking at the Legacy Country Cottage crib because it has the hidden hardware vs. the Catalina crib in the PB catalog. Do you like this crib? I want to get it in the matte white. Do you think it will match other PB things? I have the PB classic changing table already.
Thanks so much!
Elaine