PDA

View Full Version : Colgate Mattresses Confusion: Classica I, Classica III or Convertible

Betty
03-05-2001, 01:22 PM
We are expecting our first child in May. I ordered my Morgeau crib yesterday, and I was not going to order the mattress, because I was not sure what I wanted. The sales person said that I could cancel the mattress order, if I changed my mind. They had the Colgate Classica I for $89.95 and when I asked the sales lady about it (I was aware that it was rated #1 by Consumer Reports) - she said you don't want foam. All the peditricians recommend that your baby sleeps on a firm mattress and convinced me to order the Colgate Convertible mattress for $169.99! The Colgate Convertible matteress seems very heavy and I'm thinking it will be difficult to change sheets - I plan on using StayPut Safety Crib sheets (these fit the mattress, like a pillow case). In addition, I saw the Colgate Classica III mattress for $119.99 - this seemed like it might be a good solution, but I don't really think I need the toddler side and that the Classica I would be fine. I would welcome any recommendations on any of these mattresses.

Stacy
03-05-2001, 01:55 PM
Hi. When I ordered my crib the store only sold the Colgate "2 in 1" mattress. It was $119.00. I wonder if that is the same as the convertible your store is selling for $169.99. One side is firmer (without the label) for use when your child is a newborn and the other side has a little more give for a toddler. I put a sheet on the bed, my nephew took a nap in the crib, I took it off, washed it and put it back on. It was pretty easy. My first baby is due in May too.

Betty
03-05-2001, 03:23 PM
Hi Stacy:

Thanks for the help. Congratulation and good luck with the rest of your pregnancy! A different baby store was selling the Colgate "2 in 1" mattress for $129.99. I think I just figured out the difference the Convertible has coils and foam and the "2 in 1" is only foam. I find it hard to justify the cost and I think the sales lady was looking for more commission.

alandenisefields
03-05-2001, 03:39 PM
To be honest, we've noticed many baby stores push coil mattresses because they have a better profit margin (higher price) than foam. In the 7 years we've been writing our book, we've never heard a parent regret they bought a foam mattress, so I think you could go either way!

Alan & Denise Fields, Authors
BABY BARGAINS

Stacy
03-08-2001, 09:59 AM
Hi, Betty. Did you buy a mattress? I was just wondering which one you decided on. Good luck to you also with the remainder of your pregnancy. We're almost there!!! Stacy

Betty
03-08-2001, 09:06 PM
Hi Stacy:

I was excited that Denise and Alan Fields responded to my posting. I'm going to get the Classica I - it just makes the most sense with what I want to use for crib sheets. I'll talk to you soon.

Betty

Krystan
03-09-2001, 11:41 AM
We had the exact same problem! I went into the store knowing I wanted the Classica I, but she said, "we never sell that anymore, don't you want the best for your baby?" I said that yes, and I was under the impression that the Classica I was the best, I had no need for the convertible feature as we plan to have 1 or 2 more babies after this one. She still wouldn't sell it to me, so I said fine, I will buy it from someone else! I got it from babyuniverse.com with a 10% discount plus free shipping!

Betty
03-10-2001, 11:31 AM
Hi Krystan:

Thanks for responding to my posting. I felt totally the same way, the salesperson was really insistant. I have not cancelled the order yet - I plan on doing it this weekend. Thanks for the babyuniverse tip.

Betty

colgate
11-12-2001, 11:59 PM
Hi, Betty. Congratulations on the new baby. Hope this email, if too late for you, helps others. Yes, I am from Colgate. Sorry for your confusion. The Classica crib mattresses, and there are four of them, are all foam mattresses. The differences in these mattresses are described on the Colgate website: www.colgatekids.com. The 2-N-1 mattress and the Convertible mattress are innerspring mattresses that are firmer on one side and a little less firm on the other. The 2-N-1 is the more common of the mattresses and Baby Bargains has noted this mattress in their book. The Convertible is a step up to the 2-N-1. It is a private label mattress made exclusively for a juvenile specialty store group and so, is harder to find. As far as innerspring being heavier than foam, this is true but, you should never have to lift the mattress out of the crib when changing sheets. You only have to lift one corner at a time - you may have to untie the bumper first, though. Hope this heps. Colgate.

Elaine
11-14-2001, 11:21 AM
We bought the Colgate Classica I -- it's very firm and fits our Babi Italia Westgate Grace crib snugly. The store had two other Classica mattresses but the "I" seemed just fine. I hadn't even thought about the sheet-changing issue til I read the Baby Bargains book, but it certainly makes sense. The Classica I is firmer than many coil mattresses we looked at and we have no fears about the baby "sinking in" to the mattress.

I would be very suspicious of a salesperson using the line "don't you want the best for your baby." Gag me!