PDA

View Full Version : Diaper Champ vs. Diaper Genie

future_mommie
03-05-2001, 04:51 PM
Until now, I've always heard of nothing but the Diaper Genie. Since I'm actually ready to buy a diaper pail, I've been doing some research and have found mixed reviews on the Diaper Genie. I'm trying to compare it to the Baby Trend Diaper Champ. Any experience/feedback/suggestions?

Heather
EDD 6/15/01

sarsah
03-09-2001, 11:17 PM
I haven't tried the Diaper Champ, but have 2 Diaper Genies (one for the nursery upstairs and one for the main floor where we spend most of our time). I am happy with it (I am sitting about 6 feet away from a full Diaper Genie right now and do not smell anything related to dirty diapers). I know some people complain that the refills don't last very long, but in the last 9 months since my son was born, I have used only 6 refills.
It is a little hard to use at first (you really have to read the instructions), but once you figure it out, it's very easy to use and change.

Sarah....

JakesMom
03-17-2001, 09:43 AM
Sorry, no experience with the Diaper Champ. We've used the Genie since Jake came home from the hospital at two days old. It really works wonderfully, and is easy to empty out. (We did have some trouble assembling it though -- their instructions were pretty skimpy and maybe we were all just nutty with new-baby excitement, but it took me, my husband, my parents, and the lactaction consultant to put it together. I still am not sure we got it right!)

One thing I'm not sure about is their lifetime. We've had ours for 14 months, and the inside reeks. So when it's closed, it's fine, but when it's opened, the smell really wafts out. My husband has cleaned it out with bleach periodically, and we put a "Stick-Up" on the middle of the lid (inside it) to try to help. Maybe we needed to clean it out more often in it's early stages, but we're considering buying a fresh one. At less than $25, it's not too much of a problem... but when it's closed, you'd never know we had a baby!

- Jodi

P.S. We did go through the disposable diaper/environment guilt, but have compensated by being very particular about recycling paper, plastic and aluminum. <grin>

sjapark
05-30-2001, 12:26 AM
I have a diaper champ and so far, it has been great. It is very easy to assemble, works with any bags, and has a great weighted mechanism for diaper disposal. I don't smell anything yet- but we only started using it this week (baby is 2 months now and has been primarily breast-fed).

LPav
06-10-2001, 12:24 AM
I chose the Diaper Champ and have been very happy with it. I like the fact that I can use any bag rather than having to buy special refill bags. I often use leftover plastic grocery bags or shopping bags from department stores. It really contains the odors too. In the long run, it is just as good a product as the Genie and cheaper to maintain.