PDA

View Full Version : Collapsing vs. Standing Fold Strollers

LindaCV
03-06-2001, 02:46 PM
My husband and I have been looking at strollers and can't seem to agree on which one to get. He likes the EvenFlo travel system, which got a "D" rating in the Baby Bargains book. I really dislike how it collapses to the ground to fold up. Then you have to bend down, pick it up, lock it and lift it into the car.

I like the light weight of the Combi strollers and that they fold together while in the standing position. My husband doesn't like the Combi as he had trouble folding it up and keeping it together when he tried in the store.

I would appreciate any feedback you all might have on strollers that would be a good compromise for us. Thanks for your help.

dave
03-06-2001, 03:25 PM
I looked at both options you mention, but went with a Peg Perego Pliko (2001 version) with an optional attachment bar that holds my Evenflo infant carrier. The Pliko looks, works, and folds great. After much research, I think it is the best travel system solution out there.

By the way, Lots4tots.com had the 2001 Pliko for $199 with no tax and free shipping.

LisaH
03-06-2001, 06:07 PM
Linda,

After much thought and debate, we opted for the Peg Perego Venezia, it is a bit expensive $250 for a 2000 version. But it is sturdy and with the adaptor for the car seat it has everything we were looking for and more. I liked the Combi, I still do like it but the stroller was hard to close in the store and was a bit flimsy feeling. What I liked was that the Combi was light (10 pounds for the Ultra Savvy) the Peg Perego we got is 19 ponds.

Good Luck,

Lisa

LindaCV
03-07-2001, 03:42 PM
Dave,

Thanks for your recommendation. Peg Perego is one of the brands we haven't really looked at much yet. Sounds like we need to now!

Thanks!

LindaCV
03-07-2001, 03:45 PM
Lisa,

Thanks for your response and recommendation. I agree with you about liking the light weight of the Combi, but I also agree with that they could improve it's folding capability. After hearing back from you and Dave, I am going to have to check out the Peg Perego line of strollers.

Thanks!

Linda

sarsah
03-09-2001, 11:09 PM
I have a Combi 6600 model, with Perfect Match to hold the infant car seat, which I like a lot. Once you get the hang of it, it is not difficult at all to fold. The clip that keeps it folded isn't the greatest design, but it servers the purpose.
When stroller shoppng, I considered many different brands, and really felt that the Combi was the best deal for the money (under $100).

Sarah...

efsilverb
03-12-2001, 02:39 PM
We too went with the 2001 Pliko Trek because of its weight, durability, and stand-and-fold collapsing capabilities. We were going to get a Snap-n-Go for our car seat -- I did not know there was an optional bar that would allow us to use the Pliko with our carseat (Graco Snug Ride). Where did you find the $15 bar?

Thanks.

LindaCV
03-15-2001, 04:10 PM
Sarah,

Thanks for your input. I think I will still need to look at other strollers since my husband really didn't like the Combi strollers we looked at.

Linda

emmiem
03-21-2001, 12:51 PM
I bought the Combi Spirit. Combi has discontinued that model but it is still available in specialty baby stores and online. It is wonderful. It is lightweight, roomy, nice basket, easy to fold, self-standing, and comfy padding. I am also going to buy the Ultra Savvy for travel. These are both pricey but worth the price so cut corners elsewhere!

Geebee
04-06-2001, 09:15 PM
I've seen the adapter bar for the Plikos at babystyle.com, and I think that I have read somewhere on the Baby Bargains boards that the adapter bars are available at other web sites.

littlemomma
04-09-2001, 11:14 PM
I bought the Combi 6600 b/c you can attach the carrier and I absolutely love it. My mom told me to buy the lightest stroller possible b/c as a mother your back will be sore all the time, plus you'll be a traveling gypsy w/ the diaper bag, toys, etc. She was so right and I am glad I listened to her. The Peg Perego's are so heavy. And once you get used to opening & closing the Combi, it becomes second nature. I use this stroller in the neighborhood as well as the mall and it has held up well. I highly recommend this stroller.