PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for temporary diaper changer

lmintzer
03-11-2001, 09:19 PM
Hi. We will be moving cross country 7 weeks after our baby's due date. So, we are trying to minimize the amount of baby gear we have on this end. So far, we've purchased a bassinet, infant car seat, and stroller, but we'd really like to wait on the rest of the furniture. We will need something to use for diaper changes and were wondering if anyone had any suggestions. Is it possible to just use one of those contoured pads? If so, does it need to be latched down to a dresser somehow (I don't think our dresser is deep enough to accomodate it). Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Lisa

joodyjr
03-12-2001, 05:38 PM
I have a suggestion.. how about your bed, couch, floor, countertop, etc. If you have a diaper bag, then the pad that is included with that, (most have a changing pad), will suffice for a few weeks. Put a folded towel underneath if changing on the countertop. There aren't any strict rules that say you have to change your baby's diaper on a "diaper changing table". We avoided this unnecessary piece of furniture by purchasing a dresser that has an attached piece that fits a contoured changing pad. Once we are done with diapers we can either use attached piece as a shelf or remove it altogether.
If you are moving across country, I'd make do with the above suggestions to help minimize the "stuff".

JakesMom
03-17-2001, 09:38 AM
You can definitely change the baby on your bed at that age. Until the baby starts really wiggling and rolling over, you can use any sturdy surface where you can ensure that he or she won't go anywhere. One suggestion: most maternity wards let you take all the supplies from your room. Take advantage of this -- snag all of the soft paper cloths and blue "leakproof" pads they have. (The blue pads will probably be provided to you so that you don't leak anything onto the sheets of your bed -- you'll want them when you go home, too.) The soft cloths are like paper washcloths -- very soft, durable and sanitary. We used them for various baby cleaning things for a long time (especially when travelling and not having the ability to wash a lot of things en route.)

Good luck!!

- Jodi

TwinMom
03-25-2001, 05:14 AM
There are lots of different options. With now 19 mos old twins, we started with a changing table which was essential for back strain minimumlization. However around 12 months, it became dangerous with both jumping and moving to much on the changing table. We swithed to using a twin bed that's in their room, with a large lap pad use the twin bed protector. If bending to a twin bed, or any bed is too hard, and you have another spare twin bed, just put the mattress part of the other twin on top and you will be at about the same height as the changing table.

Also have used the contoured changing pad by itself, that's good because you can be in different locations, floor, table, sink counter, etc. Make sure and get the tip that curve up and are pretty deep with a lap belt, its much harder for kids to roll out and that allows the changing to be more efficient. Hope this helps

Geebee
03-27-2001, 12:33 PM
I use the contoured pad on the bathroom counter. The counter has to be large enough to accommodate the contoured pad, but it is nice to have a sink nearby. My daughter is 13 months old, and I still use this method. The contoured pad isn't bolted down. I would definitely use some easy-to-clean pad, even if you just put the contoured pad on the floor.

I'm sure that every child is different, buy I wouldn't change my daughter when she was a newborn just anywhere. I have a girl, and there were many times that she made a nice urine fountain while I was changing her. Also, sometimes her poop came out in little explosions while was changing her (gross). It landed on the changing pad, the mirror, the sink, everywhere, ugh. As they get a little older (about 2 to 4 months, again depending on the child and whether they are formula or breast fed), they don't have poop nearly everytime you change them. And eventually, they don't pee everytime their diaper is off (this includes at bathtime). Then, it is easier to change them anywhere (floor, bed, couch, etc.).

lmintzer
04-03-2001, 10:42 AM
Thanks for your suggestions! I ordered a Lands End diaper bag which comes with a long, folding pad (which would work for on changes on the bed, floor, or on-the-go). I also bought a Simmons contoured pad and 2 covers. It fits on my dresser fairly well--hangs over about a 1/2 inch, but I tested it out and it's solid (doesn't look like it could tip).

Lisa