PDA

View Full Version : First bed: Toddler Bed or Twin?

JakesMom
03-17-2001, 09:49 AM
Hi all,

We are planning to go for baby #2 next year (I can't believe it!). Since we have a small (2-bedroom) townhome and will be staying here for several more years, we are planning to have the first two babies share the same room. Space is a little tight, but we will have room for the crib, a twin or toddler bed, and the changing table without trouble. (We had built out the closet so there are drawers, bookshelves, and hanging rods in there, so we don't need dressers.)

Does anyone have recommendations on toddler beds, or should we just get him a twin and use baby rails? Is the height of a standard twin bed a problem? If we put the mattress & boxspring right on the floor, I think the height would be okay, but then I don't know how we'd attach the guard rails.

Anyone have opinions? I know it's early, but we're planning to get the new bed for Jake's second birthday next January and get him slowly moved into it before I'm really pregnant again. I like to plan ahead so I can watch what things cost and buy when they go on sale...

Thanks!
Jodi
[email protected]

joodyjr
03-21-2001, 10:46 PM
Using the mattress and boxspring on the floor is an option, I have seen guardrails that have support pieces that slide between the mattress and boxspring. Personally I think you should just go straight to the twin bed, and skip the toddler. They are cute but also costly, as you will eventually need to go to the twin bed anyway.

gentlemommy
03-23-2001, 01:29 PM
We went straight to a twin bed for my ds (he was 20 mos old at the time), and we do have the mattress and box springs on the floor. Because we co-slept before that, we used the guard rail for only a couple nights - he hasn't ever really needed it (he's 26 mos now). Some of those toddler beds are really cute, but it didn't make any sense to us, to go and buy something he'd outgrow again in a couple more years. Plus, if space is a consideration at all, many of those cuter toddler beds (like the tugboat or firetruck) are a good bit bigger than just the mattress.

BTW, the guard rail we used was made by Safety 1st, I think. It fits btw the mattress and box spring.