PDA

View Full Version : changing tables

Cathy
03-20-2001, 07:19 PM
Do people prefer to use changing tables or are their other alternatives that people use for changing diapers that work just as well?

wiz
03-21-2001, 02:33 PM
You could buy a hi-lo dresser which doubles as a changing table or a 3 drawer dresser and use the top surface.

After the hi-lo dressers became popular their cost has been rising though.

joodyjr
03-21-2001, 10:42 PM
We also bought a dresser that has a removable top that is used as a changing table. Once we are done with diapers, we can just remove the top. Personally, I didn't want to pay for a table designated for diaper changes when it was just as easy to use the couch, bed, floor, etc. We needed a dresser so we just went for the diaper changing top. I admit, it is a pretty nice convenience, as using the bed does a number on my back!

peg
03-22-2001, 05:49 PM
I have been quite happy for 22 months using a dresser top with a changing cushion with curved sides on top. Babies R Us sells Simmons brand pad and also terry cloth covers, which I also recommend. Changing on beds/floors/etc. is ok in a pinch, but your back will thank you if you stand up for most changes! (Just NEVER take your hand off your baby - they move fast sometimes!)

gentlemommy
03-23-2001, 01:19 PM
We used an IKEA dreser/changing table combo with my ds, but b/c I'm only five feet tall, the height didn't quite work for me, plus, it's not easy to use for an older baby - it's much shorter than a traditional changing table. I agree that using the bed is torture on the back (LOL, it's even torture for us short folks!), but it's fine in a pinch. Honestly, I bought a "gently used" changing table at a yard sale for $10 when my ds was about a year old - after I stopped using it to change him, it held some toys and stuffed animals, and still a few diapers. Our baby is due in May, and I'm really glad I have the changing table this time around.

Geebee
03-27-2001, 12:39 PM
I use the bathroom counter with one of those contoured pads on top (it isn't bolted down). It is nice to have a sink right there when changing diapers. I've been doing this for 13 months, and it has been great.

cabote
03-27-2001, 12:57 PM
I think that the hi-lo dressers are the best invention. They are in every baby store now including babies-r-us. I have a Rumbletuff changing pad which has straps that you attach to the back of the dresser so it will not slide around/off. I don't know if all changing pads have this feature. These dressers are stylish and can really be used all the child's young life. Most companies offer a hutch (which you can purchase later) to make the dresser even more functionable as the child grows.

If you are interested in the Rumble Tuff changing pad and covers, you can purchase them at babyuniverse.com.

seven2skip
03-09-2002, 08:41 PM
What is a hi-lo dresser ?? Does anyone know a website where I can see one ? I have no idea what it looks like but am interested. Thank you. Email me ASAP.
[email protected]

akc
03-11-2002, 05:03 PM
Hi -

I am so happy to finally be on the OTHER side of this debate - I have been in a quandry over changing tables since I found out I was pg 6 mos ago and finally solved my problem. I wanted a space that held all the "gear" that goes w/diaper changing instead of co-opting the dresser for this purpose.

I agree w/most that one of the "Changing table only" pieces are not so useful later, not to mention that they don't feel that sturdy - unfortunately, these are usually what you can find at the baby stores. The nice changing table/storage type pieces from PBK or elsewhere were always way too expensive in my book! And, while the Hi/lo dresser is really functional it is much wider than a regular changing size piece - in the neigborhood of 55+" (and we already had a dresser!) I wanted a piece that didn't look like a changing table that could serve that purpose until I wanted to convert it to storage for toys, etc later.

So, what we did was go to an unfinished furniture store/warehouse. Take the dimensions of the changing pad you want to use (or better yet take the actual thing) and walk around and see what will work that you like stylistically and functionally. They had all sorts of things that would have worked - media units (great b/c they are a good height for the changing and have lots of shelves for storage), microwave carts (stationary or on wheels), small dressers/nightstands that could fit a changer, consoles, even butchers block cabinets that are made for a kitchen that would have worked well. Don't forget, you can also change the hardware to match other pieces if you want. I ended up with a piece that is 42" long, 18" deep and 36" tall (I'm using a Rumble Tuff changing pad), has a door on the left side and drawers on the right - lots of storage, perfect dimensions for my room and I love the style! My hubby and I got a piece of that pre-made wainscotting panelling from the hardware store and cut a piece to glue on the door b/c my crib is a country cottage style and I wanted it to tie together. Finally, I went to the hardware store then and had them color match a paint to the color of my crib & I'm in business!

OK - so this may sound like effort, but believe me, I am NOT a martha stewart type. I'm happier to order things if I can find what I want. I just didn't think the quality was worth the $ for what was out there. The unfinished furniture is well made, can be in pine, maple or oak (which is not the particle board or MDF in some of the cheap stuff out there) and it can be exactly what you want!

Just my experience - good luck! :)