PDA

View Full Version : Bassinet vs. co-sleeper

Laura
03-25-2001, 05:21 PM
We're really interested in having the baby (due in July) sleep in our room for the first few weeks (months?), both for ease of breastfeeding and because the nursery is far. I thought we'd get a bassinet but lately have become intrigued with these "co-sleepers" that attach to your bed and convert to playpens. Has anyone had experience with the co-sleepers, or bassinets, that can recommend which works better? Or any recommendations on bassinettes (BabyBargains mentions them but gives no picks).

Many thanks for any thoughts.

ACinnamonGirl
03-25-2001, 06:14 PM
Hi~
Here's my 2 cents: I've been using the Graco 3-Way Pack'N'Play in our room at night for the past 2.5 weeks. It is a portable play yard with a changing table and bassinet insert that you can use for infants up to 15 pounds. I also purchased sheets & a matress pad for the P'N'P as well. This arrangement has worked out well for our daughter, who sleeps in her crib during the day. Given how expensive baby equipment can get, the P'N'P is much more versatile than a regular bassinet ~ more bang for the buck.
Jules

KYLE'S MOM
04-02-2001, 08:34 AM
WE USED A BASSINET IN OUR ROOM FOR THE FIRST 3 MONTHS; HOWEVER, WE DID NOT CONSIDER HOW THIS WOULD AFFECT OUR SONE WHEN IT WAS TIME TO SLEEP IN HIS CRIB. OUR SON HAD A TIME GETTING USED TO HIS CRIB AFTER SLEEPING IN A BASSINET. I RECOMMEND YOU EITHER PUT HIS CRIB IN YOUR ROOM AND/OR AT LEAST USE HIS CRIB DURING THE DAY. WE USED THE BASSINET ALL OF THE TIME FOR THE FIRST 3 MONTHS WHICH I WILL NOT DO AGAIN IF WE HAVE ANOTHER CHILD. GOOD LUCK!!!

Chevalier
04-11-2001, 12:15 PM
I'm definately getting a co-sleeper for our next baby. We had a bassinet, which meant getting out of bed all the time to pick up baby. My stitches seperated, so that was quite painful. Get a co-sleeper, and stay in bed!

mkmom
04-12-2001, 09:58 PM
We used a bassinet in our room for the first two months. It was right next to my bed, so I could just lean over and pick her up for middle of night nursing. At 8 weeks, she went in her crib with no problem. I would recommend the bassinet or a PNP (as mentioned above) before the co-sleeper. Good luck !

Koseken
05-07-2001, 12:27 PM
My first baby required a diaper change at every feeding for about the first 6 weeks (he just pooped a lot - the changes themselves were a pretty exciting business!). So a co-sleeper would have been a waste of money. Also he was very noisy, and I couldn't get any sleep when he was in our room - we both did much better when he slept in his own room. You might wait until after he is born, and see how it goes. For the first few weeks, a baby can sleep almost anywhere - our second slept in a Fisher-Price "Soothing Vibrations" bassinet, because he prefered to have his head elevated.

skinnycat
05-08-2001, 05:22 PM
Our 3 wk old daughter has been sleeping in a 3 way PNP. She sleeps in that at night for a few hours. During the day, she likes to sleep in her carseat. The only problem that we've had with the PNP is that it wasn't easy to fold. My husband spent a few hours the 1st night trying to fold it and the only way he has been able to do it was to turn it upside down. We purchased our 3 way PNP at Sears. It was the best deal, it is a Euro design exclusively at Sears (better than the Bordeaux at TRU) and it comes with a changing table (which is great) and a parent organizer (also great). When it is on sale it is $90, and there is a $5 off coupon in the sears babyme catalog. Great Deal!