PDA

View Full Version : Playpen with bassinette instead of crib?

laixing
05-23-2001, 09:25 AM
This is my first child and I am having trouble finding a quality crib in my price range (my budget is tight). I was wondering if there is anything wrong with using something like a Pack 'n Play with bassinette instead of a crib in the nursery. They tend to be cheaper than cribs. Thanks.

alandenisefields
05-23-2001, 11:59 AM
I don't think that is a good idea. First off, the bassinet feature can only be used up to 15 pounds---or rougly 3 months. After that, baby must sleep in the playpen themselves. Bending over to pick up a baby from the bottom of a playpen will kill your back. In general, cribs are a safer place for a baby to sleep the night than a playpen, which are more designed for short naps or other short-term use (a hotel, etc.). A good, safe crib starts at $150---that's only slightly more than a Pack N Play.

That's our 2¢,
Alan & Denise
BABY BARGAINS

wahoobabies
05-28-2001, 08:01 PM
I agree with the Fields--a crib is much safer and designed for long term use. In the Consumer Reports Baby Products book, they don't even care for the pack 'n' plays at all. I would suggest that you trim costs elsewhere and invest in the $150 or so needed for a new crib.

JakesMom
07-08-2001, 12:53 AM
In my opinion, the Pack & Play is more useful as a secondary crib/bassinet for travel, grandparent's house, etc. My son had a lot of trouble sleeping in the bassinet -- it's very sturdy and everything, but not as comfortable as a real mattress.

If money is tight, perhaps a friend or relative can loan you a recent-model crib to use for a while. Either that, or try to find a display or sale crib that is well-rated.

We definitely got more use out of the Pack & Play as a playpen than anything else.

Best wishes,
Jodi in Chicago