PDA

View Full Version : New cribs with sides that don't move?

JanaSullivan
05-30-2001, 04:18 PM
I've been looking at the new convertible Legacy "Millennium" Crib. It seems very solid since there are no moving parts. My concern is that when the baby is older (a year or so, weighs 25-30 lbs, and can stand) and it's necessary to lower the mattress height to it's lowest position, how difficult will it be to bend over the side and lay a sleeping toddler down without really hurting your back? Does anyone have a similar crib with no moving parts? Any ideas/comments on this type of crib would help. Thanks!

jfer1270
06-05-2001, 06:55 AM
My husband & I are looking at the same crib. Did you decide yet? We had the same concerns and were looking for guidance as well.

Thanks.

JanaSullivan
06-05-2001, 08:14 AM
I decided to go with a convertable crib by Sorelle. The Mara "3 in 1". It's supposed to be able to convert to a day bed and then to a full size head board and foot board. I just ordered it and they said it may take 8 to 10 weeks to arrive, which is okay with me since I'm not due for another 10 weeks and we will be keeping the baby in a bassinett for the first few weeks anyways. Good luck with your decision! :-)

crAbbymom
06-06-2001, 11:32 PM
I don't have that type of crib, but the side won't drop on mine, so I do have the type of experience you're looking for. My 9 month old weighs at least 18-19 lbs and so far it doesn't hurt my back to put her down (i'm 5'5") but it isn't easy leaning over the rail. Another problem with the distance: The baby isn't cradled against me as I'm putting her down and the long distance, only being supported by my hands or arms, is enough to startle her awake sometimes. It happens often enough that it is a real inconvenience.
Also, even if the leaning over and all doesn't bother you, there is another thing to consider: will anyone else be putting the baby to bed? My mother in law is several inches shorter than me and couldn't reach to put the baby to bed at all!
I hope this helps a little! Good Luck!

rodmar
06-19-2001, 10:44 PM
I just carried my 18 month old daughter to her crib and automatically lowered the side to clear her blankets and things out of the way so I could put her down. It would have been much more difficult to do leaning over the side while holding her. I don't always lower the side, but I personally would not consider buying a crib if the side couldn't be lowered. I don't really think that the stability of the crib suffers by having moving parts. Just my two cents--buy a crib with a side that lowers!

Marcia

pearsoka
07-09-2001, 10:16 PM
My crib is similar to the one you are looking at and I haven't had any problems yet. Our baby is now 7 months old. both my husband & I are fairly tall & don't expect any problems when we lower the mattress. However, my brother also has the same style crib & my 5'5" mother does report some difficulty putting down my niece now that the mattress is at the bottom position.