PDA

View Full Version : Used Crib

TLC1994
06-02-2001, 11:54 AM
LAST EDITED ON Jun-02-01 AT 10:59AM (Mountain)[p]Hi -
We have the opportunity to get a crib, changing table, dresser & mirror for $250 from some friends of ours. The crib is a Simmons crib, which is at least 5-6 years old. (They purchased it from a different owner.)

I do know of one definite problem - there are corner posts over an inch high, but I believe that these could either be removed or cut off and sanded down to remove the choking hazard.

After what I've read in the Baby Bargains book and other places I'm concerned about purchasing a secondhand crib. What is some of the hardware is missing?? Yes, we saw it all put together, however you can probably put a crib together good enough to show someone, but maybe not good enought to make it safe for the baby.

Anyway, am I just way too safety conscience and overly concerned or what? Should we just go with it because it's a good deal and things are tight right now? I guess it sounds like I already know what to do, but I think my real problem is convincing my husband. HELP!!

Geebee
06-03-2001, 07:51 PM
LAST EDITED ON Jun-03-01 AT 06:53PM (Mountain)[p]I don't know if this will help...

We bought a used crib for some friends (it was probably 5 years old when we bought it). I just made sure that it was a brand that the Fields' recommended in the past. It was also a Simmons. My child is 15 months old now, and the crib has been fine.

I was a little concerned with a used crib, but, like yours, my husband liked the idea of saving money. I saw the crib, I liked the style, and I thought that it was in good shape. It was a brand that the Fields' recommended, so I thought that I would be fine.

It might help you to check the recall site (cspc.gov or something, I'm sure that the exact site is in the Fields' book), and find some crib guidelines that you can use. If the crib fits the safety guidelines, it should work fine. I once saw something on Oprah about crib safetly guideslines, so I'm sure that you can find something like this somewhere on the web. Also, maybe you can get hold of Simmons for the crib's documentation - then you would know if any parts are missing and replace them.

If you don't like the idea of a used crib, maybe you can just get the furniture and buy a new crib that matches - I'm sure Simmons still makes a crib in a similiar wood that will match.

I hope that helps, and good luck!

TLC1994
06-03-2001, 09:57 PM
I was thinking the exact same thing - buy the furniture (at least we'll get the dresser & changing table) then try to get the documentation from Simmons. If not, then we'll just get a new crib that matches. It's oak so it won't be to hard to find one.

Appreciate your input!

alandenisefields
06-04-2001, 11:31 AM
Hi!

Thanks for using our reader message boards and reading our Baby Bargains book.

We strongly recommend you don't purchase a used crib. We aren't the only ones either. The Consumer Product Safety Commission has actually led the charge in recent years to discourage parents from using a used crib. The majority of deaths and injuries in cribs have been in used cribs. We think this is one area where the money savings isn't worth it. You can buy a nice, new crib for as little as $300 that is not a safety hazard.

Hope that helps,

alan and denise fields
authors, BABY BARGAINS

littlemomma
06-04-2001, 10:35 PM
I have bought a second hand bassinet, exersaucer, and other toys for my baby with no problem. Just go to cpsc.org and look up safety recalls according to the category. I bought a used Delta Jenny Lind changing table that was missing a screw. I called up Delta & asked for the screw. They sent me a whole new hardware package free. They didn't even ask how old it was or where I bought it. All you have to do is call up the manufacturer (Simmoms) and give them the style # of the crib & date of manufacture. They will be able to tell you if the crib has been recalled. Then ask them to send you a hardware kit w/ new instructions.

Believe me, the manufacturers will send you whatever hardware is missing & instructions b/c they don't want you using their product the wrong way. Real Meaning: they don't want to be held liable in court for any accidents.

Jodiwrub
06-13-2001, 06:58 AM
I hope you decided against the used crib. If anything, I would buy a used crib that was newer than 5-6 years old. At least then you could feel more comfortable that it met with safety standards, and that it was used by maybe only one child instead of multiples.

I am due in August, and would never consider a used crib or car seat because of wear and tear.

mkf_1973
06-20-2001, 03:49 PM
I researched simmons cribs and if you have the model # it is very easy to check on the internet if it has been recalled I know certain models manufactured between 1992 and 1999 cribs have been recalled. I hope this has helped.

Melissa