PDA

View Full Version : what is the best kind of dutailier glider?

kbuckard
06-20-2001, 01:08 PM
I am about to purchase a Dutailier glider and ottoman and I'm torn about what kind to get. I definitely want the recline feature. Which is better--the multi-position lock (which locks into place) or the one that lets you glide while reclining (very comfortable). I'm leaning toward the latter, but they offer so many more multi-position lock models that I think I'm missing something. Any advice?

rainanoelle
06-21-2001, 11:23 AM
I decided to go with the multilock position. The reason why was that I'd read somewhere (I forget where now) a comment by someone. She said that being able to lock into a stable reclined position was a MUST for a newborn when breastfeeding so you could just lay back with the baby on your breast, making it easier for the baby to feed when young (you also tend not to rock as much when feeding itsy-bitsy babies...just gentle motions at most). I volunteer in the neonatal intensive care unit at a local hospital, and I wish we had the multilock gliders there...we just have regular gliders with no lock at all. I'd imagine it's a matter of personal preference though. Can you try one of each out someplace (BRU/local furniture store) and see how you like it?

Another thing I've noticed is that the Dutailier gliders *feel* normally like they're in more of a reclined position (even when they're not) than any other brand I've tried (especially Shermag...they feel to me like I'm soldier-straight when sitting). I definately recommend sitting in different chairs to decide what you like best if you possibly can. For me, testing the *brand* was more important than testing the exact *model*...I found most brands I tried had the same feel for all their models (for the record I did try the one I ordered though).

Best of luck to you on your purchase!! I am expecting mine tomorrow and am trying desperately to figure out how to rearrange the condo so we have room. We can't build/buy a house until we know where I'll be getting into medical school (I know...rotten timing, but when you're 30-something and your life just falls into place all at once you just have to roll with the punches. ;) So we're going to be one snug, happy family until we can move, probably sometime next spring/summer! =)

Post to say what your decision was...I'd love to know any other info you hear! =)

Raina

wilson1222
06-21-2001, 01:42 PM
I chose the recliner. I had another glider when I had my first child. It didn’t have the multi-position lock but the chair would “lock” in one position so you could sleep. I agree this was a great feature. However, what I found with the recliner was that it is SO much more comfortable on my back. We still have our first glider and I had been planning to buy new cushions. Then I found this reclining Dutailier which cost about 3-4 times what new cushions would have cost us. I was waffling about the money until my husband tried it and his response was “what are you waiting for – this is awesome!”

I think there are fewer reclining models because this feature is relatively new, but I could be wrong.

Something we did consider in our decision was that the multi-lock option has one excellent benefit. Once those babies are crawling it means little fingers in EVERYTHING including your glider. You can lock the glider before you get up to prevent baby from hurting itself. A locked glider can’t nip fingers. Unfortunately there is no lock on the gliding ottoman so that will always be a potential hazard.

Try to sit in some of the chairs before you buy, then I suggest you buy online from www.goodnightben.com. They are absolutely fabulous. Shorter lead time, better prices, bigger selection, and actual customer service (what a novelty!).