PDA

View Full Version : Any recommendations for a changing table pad?

acadiaphile
06-25-2001, 10:49 AM
I found a great changing table at a yard sale but it lacks a pad. I checked out the Babies R Us website (where we're registered) and their appears to be 2 top contenders: one is vinyl covered and has a convex shape (to reduce the likelihood of the baby rolling overboard). The other's flat and is covered with terry cloth (that's reportedly removable for washing.)

Does any one have recommendations on which is better? Or are there other options I should consider?

Thanks a plenty!

Christine

Geebee
06-26-2001, 09:19 AM
I like the vinyl covered one with the convex shape. The vinyl is just easy to clean (a few squirts of 409 or something), and I like the shape (less chance of rolling babies). If you like the convex shape and the terry cloth cover, you can purchase the terry cloth covers separately to go on the convex shaped pad. I think that BRU carries these.

I hope that helps.

cabote
06-27-2001, 06:40 PM
Rumble Tuff makes a great changing pad. It has "walls" on all four sides instead of just two like the one you mentioned. They have a very large selection of colors for the cover as well. I bought mine at Baby's First Furniture in Houston, TX. Or you could call Rumble Tuff-their number is 800-524-9607 for a local retailor.

littlemomma
06-29-2001, 10:17 PM
I also bought a spare jenny lind changing table for $18 to keep downstairs. Since this jenny lind style already had about a 6" railing, I didn't want the convex changing table. I bought a flat pad and am able to use the terry cloth covers & also bassinet sheets. I don't like the idea of just changing my baby on the vinyl. I've seen too many muddy diapers and I know that if it wasn't for the cloth covers, the poop would seep into the stitching in the vinyl, no matter how much 409 you'd use. For me, it is just easier to take the cover off & throw it in the hamper b/c I do laundry every other day now. I got my pad at Babies r Us for $9.99. I got the terry covers at baby consignment sales, but BRU also sells them for around $8

hannahbear
07-29-2005, 04:38 PM
Since we didn't go with a changing table (opted for a dresser instead) I ordered a changing pad w/ cover from Pottery Barn Kids. I am not sure exactly how much it was, it was reasonable priced, nothing extreme. The cover is really soft and cuddly and the pad is convex shaped. The cover color options are really fun too.

Good Luck!
: )
Hanaa
*surprise*

ekbecker1
08-04-2005, 01:55 PM
I have the contoured pad and love it. I got it at BRU and I think it's by Simmons. It was around $20 2 years ago. I still use it with my 22 month DS.

For covers, my advice would be to not buy (or register for) the terry covers they sell at BRU. I had two and they shrunk and lost their color in the wash. After a few washings, I had to practically bend the pad in half to fit it inside the cover.

I have since found the chamois changing pads at PBK. They are awesome!! They are so soft and they haven't shrunk at all or lost their color. And they don't seem to stain!! When I wash them I usually soak them in OxyClean overnight and then throw them in the washer. They come out looking as good as new. The PBK covers are bit more expensive - I think they are $19 vs. $12 for the terry ones. But they will last 10 times as long so they are worth it.

BTW - PBK also makes chamois sheets. I can't say enough good things about them too. And it's kind of nice that the sheets match the changing pad especially once you take the bumpers off and the sheets are more prominent.

Khrys
08-05-2005, 10:55 AM
I love, love LOVE my Rumble Tuff changing pad! I purchased several terry cloth covers for it, and it's been perfect for the past 21 months!

It's larger and thicker and still fits my toddler today.

It comes with straps and snaps to allow you to secure it to a dresser if need be (which is what I did).

I got it for about $20 at BabyCenter.

I love it!

HTH,

~Khrys.

tamar948
08-06-2005, 03:26 PM
We purchased the Rumble Tuff pad along with a couple of the terry covers... how many covers do you think are in order for the 'long haul'? (Just curious - wondering if I should keep an eye out for more on sale or something)

Thanks,
Tamar
(due in Sept)

Lovingliv
08-06-2005, 09:39 PM
It seems like I am forever changing the covers...the baby pees unexpectedly when we are changing her, or a lil poop leaks out the side of the dipe or migrates up her back. So these covers are always in the wash. Sometimes I think I should just leave it uncovered.
But to answer the question I would have at least 3.

Khrys
08-08-2005, 03:05 PM
I have three, but here is what I do to minimize changing the terry cloth covers.

I put a waterproof flannel-like changing pad on top of the terry cloth cover. This keeps the terry cover from getting soiled. I also have 4 of the waterproof changing pads. I got them at babycenter pretty cheaply and they are still holding up well.

HTH,

~Khrys.