PDA

View Full Version : White furniture

ka0grp
07-30-2001, 10:50 AM
My wife and I have been evaluating a number of options for nursery furniture and keep coming back to one basic question which is how realistic is it to keep white furniture looking good? We do not know yet whether we are going to have boys, girls, or both (yes, twins). A number of the cribs which we like come only in white and natural finishes and neither of us particular cares for the natural finish.

If white is a reasonable choice, any preferences between the glossy white or the matte white?

Any assistance which you might have would be appreciated.

holland2
07-30-2001, 01:09 PM
I had the same dilemma and settled for the natural for several reasons.

white furniture is known to chip faster and
white turns yellow if in a sunny room.

natural can be used for both boys and girls and I think would last better through a second child.

BUT if you do white, I would do the matte- I believe that it is the glossy that is prone to color changes and chipping.

Good luck.

lbess
07-31-2001, 03:02 PM
One thing I noticed in the stores while shopping for cribs is that every white crib (and some other painted colors) had the paint/finish worn off along the corners and the edges of the rails. Granted, floor models are probably handled more than your crib at home would be, but if you plan to use it for more than one child, the worn-off paint might become an issue.

Phoebes_mom
08-16-2001, 11:38 PM
We have white baby furniture, which seems to be holding up pretty well. The crib is by Simmons and yes, some of the paint is chipping off. But I do like it. The matte finish looks really nice and it cleans up very well. The dresser is from IKEA and I love it. It is very tall. The drawers are huge. It has glass knobs and it came with an anchor to attach it to the wall for safety.

I hope this helps.