PDA

View Full Version : Anybody out there use a baby wipe warmer??

JeffreyTCook
08-09-2001, 10:48 PM
Since learning we are pregnant, I have been asking everyone to recommend one baby product they could not live without. Surprisingly the baby wipe warmer is one of the top items!! Does anybody have any great stories or experiences to share about this product?? Do they make them for adults (just kidding!!)

Seriously, do people actually use this and does the baby prefer warm wipes over cold wipes?? Any brands to recommend??

Thanks.

Father in waiting...

emmiem
08-10-2001, 09:18 AM
Check your consumer reports and Baby Bargains Book. Most of these wipe warmers have been recalled. They are heating up too high and a fire hazard.

kzallison
08-10-2001, 12:10 PM
I used a Prince Lionheart version with my first child. While it was nice to have warm wipes, I had a couple of problems with it that have convinced me not to buy another now that I am expecting again. I found that the bottom ten or so wipes would become scalded and unusable, plus the unit leaked causing permanent damage to the top of her hi/low dresser. Once I noticed the problems, I got rid of the unit, and my daughter didn't complain one bit. I suggest you pass on this one. It doesn't seem worth the trouble.

triangle
08-14-2001, 11:13 PM
I use one, I think it is by Dex (I'm on vacation but will check when I get home.) I haven't had any trouble with it. I do make sure to use the bottom wipes up and then refill - if the bottom wipes sit for too long they dry out and turn brown. Besides that it works fine. My child has been really easy going and she doesn't seem to care if I use cold wipes but when I'm home I do use the warm ones.

MonsterMom2
08-27-2001, 01:55 PM
I tried a Prince Lionheart and I returned it. When my son was very young, the warm wipes made a difference. But I hated that the bottom wipes were always dry and brown and condensation dripped from the lid onto the changing table when I opened it. I just started rubbing the wipe in my hands to take the chill off.

ma2be
09-02-2001, 10:04 PM
I haven't used it yet, but Prince Lionhard has a new wipes warmer called Mother's Choice Top Down Wipes Warmer. This unit heats the wipes from the top to avoid the problems others have mentioned - drying out the bottom wipes or burning the bottom surface. You could find this version at Target for $20 or online at babystyle.com I personally, don't think I would keep the until on 24 hrs a day.

SylviaC
09-16-2001, 02:50 PM
I hadn't asked for one for our baby shower but by sister got us one by Dex anyway and let me tell you how much of a godsend it has been. There is nothing like a cold wipe to get your baby screaming in the middle of a diaper change, which can be especially troublesome in the middle of the night. I hadn't realized how much our little boy prefered it until we had to change him in the grocery store this week and he screamed bloddy murder when that cold wipe hit his bottom.
As for the recalls and reviews, I know A&D gave Dex a poor review in the latest book, but honestly it works fine as long as you put new wipes in on the bottom. We go thru so many that they rarely get brown and have never dried out - at least not yet.
As for your other question... I use them myself sometimes too. It's quite refreshing!! HAHA!
Sylvia :)

JakesMom
01-07-2002, 05:25 PM
I purchased the Dex brand at Target, after reading in Baby Bargains the problems with the Prince Lionheart brand. We were very pleased with its performance and our son seemed happy with the warm wipes. Just follow the directions and use the distilled or whichever water they recommend.

BJMoe
01-11-2002, 02:36 PM
I really want this one! Living in MN and my baby due the beginning on Feb., I really wanted a warmer, but was hesitant about the burned ones on the bottom. My SuperTarget doesn't have it yet, but I found it at a USA Baby store. If I don't get it as a gift, I'll buy it myself ASAP. Much better than hearing a baby scream from a cold wipe at 3am.

brendasuewilson
01-25-2002, 03:08 PM
We used a Dex warmer for my son (now 4 years old) and it WAS really one of the best gifts we received! It makes such a difference when the wipes are nice and toasty. We're expecting our second child this May and plan to use the warmer again. Honestly, it's been a while, but I don't remember any problems with condensation, burning, etc.

neeciekay
04-22-2002, 01:25 AM
We wouldn't survive without it! I have 10 mo. old twins and they are soooo much happier when I use warm wipes, not only on their bottoms but also to wipe their faces and little hands after eating. Have you ever felt how cold wipes are? They aren't just cold; somehow they feel about 30 degrees colder than freezing. Imagine using wet toilet paper dipped in ice water, or using an icy-cold napkin to wipe your chin . . . you get the idea. Guess what, if you'd hate it,chances are your baby will, too. We didn't like the Prince Lionheart; we even had the model that heats from the top down. We use wipes that are folded to allow the next one to "pop" up, so the Dex is the way to go. Got it at Target. Honestly, I thought these were dumb and a waste of $, but have learned otherwise the hard way.

MinnieMouse
04-22-2002, 09:05 AM
We saw this as not necessary before our dd was born and now at 9 months she's never complained about cold wipes. They don't use wipe warmers at her day care either.

To be honest...we have her Rumbletuff hi-lo dresser in her room upstairs and a $20 Jenny Lind changing table downstairs that we got from a consignment shop...If we had a wipe warmer...we would have needed two and I would be worried about exactly what happened with another poster...they would get used to the warm wipes and be upset when they were cold.

HTH

Christine