PDA

View Full Version : Help with Babies R Us crib question

corto
08-13-2001, 04:53 PM
Hi:
I have been looking everywhere for a crib and double dresser for my baby due Nov. 22. I found the Geneva crib with combo dresser at Babies R Us, for around $1,000. I was hoping to get the furniture through a local discounter in my area, but it's made by Simmons specifically for Babies R Us, and he can't get it.

Does anyone have experience with this crib? Is it worth the money? I CAN get a Bassett crib and dresser from the local discounter for around $600, but I don't like the crib as much, as it's Shaker style. Does anyone know of any good coupons you can use on Babies R Us furniture? The Geneva never goes on sale, and it's killing me to think of paying full price, when my local discounter will get me Child Craft or Bassett for wholesale + 20% + freight and tax.

Thanks for getting this far.

Christine

littlemomma
08-13-2001, 11:42 PM
I can't tell you whether to shell out the $1000 for the Geneva crib or spend less. You'll have to decide if you can live w/ the less expensive one. What I will tell you is that the only way to get anything discounted at BRU is to buy the floor model and use thier $10 off coupon that comes twice/year. You've got to call thier 1-800# to get on thier mailing list and it will seem like forever before you recieve their biannual catalog of coupons.

I bought my white simmons crib there w/ the quiet drop side (you push in the side rail w/ your knee). It retails for $240 and I bought the floor model for $200. Not a super deal of savings, but still worth something. I have been pleased w/ it and my baby is now 10 months old.

sarsah
08-22-2001, 08:53 PM
Unless you are set on spending that much money on the crib and really, really like it, I wouldn't do it.
I have a Simmons crib with drop side (knee push) which we bought at Babies R Us for $199. My son is 15 months old and we have had NO problems with the crib. We've even had comments about how nice it is (from friends who have much more expensive cribs) and when me moved, our movers commented on how sturdy it was and how easy it was to take apart and put back together.

I don't think BRU has many sales on cribs, unless you use the coupons they send to you when you do a baby registry. I don't remember these being a particurally great discount, though.

Sarah....