PDA

View Full Version : Going overseas: Pack n Play vs. alternatives

Sue
08-16-2001, 01:43 PM
After our baby is 3 months old, we'll be moving overseas for 6 months (for work). I've read the rave reviews about the Pack n' Play. I'm concerned that if we plan on using that when we go overseas, the baby will outgrow it before we get back (age will be 9 months). We need something easy/efficient to transport, since we'll be living in a small space and travelling on occaision. Is the Pack n Play safe? Should we go with this option or something else? Thanks in advance for your help.

sarsah
08-22-2001, 08:45 PM
My son is a very tall 15 month old and still sleeps in a Pack & Play when we travel without a problem. He won't play in it (it's WAY too small for that), but happily sleeps in it without a problem.

If you decide to go the Pack & Play route, I would highly suggest the following:
- look for good sheets, or make your own -- the store brand ones are awful. I bought two of the Nojo terry cloth ones and they are ok. If you are at all crafty, you could make your own using fabric or a twin sheet (just make a "pillow case" big enough to fit the mattress and attach velcro at the open end to hold it snug.
- purchase a travel bag to put the Pack & Play in when you travel. The bag that comes with the Pack & Play is fine for car travel, but I highly doubt it would stand up to air travel. We travel a lot by air, so I bought a wheeled duffle bag at Target and it has worked very well.
- consider purchasing a Pack & Play model that comes with a changing table. We have the 3-way model and the part we use the most is the changing table.

Sarah