PDA

View Full Version : Changing Table Ideas?

HOBSON725
08-24-2001, 08:22 PM
I am going to be receiving a changing table free of charge from a family member to use. I know, the book says changing tables are a waste. But since I'm getting it without buying it, I see it as a positive thing :) I was planning on buying a chest of drawers to use for the changing area, but now, I won't have to buy a chest for a while. My question is this: Does anyone have any ideas for using the 2 bottom shelves of a changing table like you would use a chest of drawers? I was thinking of buying some wicker baskets and putting all the little onsies, booties, etc in them. Any more ideas? thanks

Elaine
08-27-2001, 07:41 AM
We are going to use the dresser w/ a changer top in the nursery, but I got a great nearly-new changing table at a yard sale which I'm planning to keep in our family room. I know that's where I'll be spending most of the day w/ the baby and I don't want to have to keep running upstairs for every diaper change. Anyway, I think the wicker baskets are a great idea. You could also get fabric that matches or coordinates with your nursery fabric and make a "skirt" to go around the bottom of the changing table. That way you could keep everything laying on the shelves but it would be out of sight.

HOBSON725
08-27-2001, 09:30 AM
The "skirt" idea was another idea I had(got it from a picture in the Pottery Barn Kids catalog!). Thanks for your ideas!! Congratulations on your baby! Mine is due in December!

Gidge
09-16-2001, 07:26 PM
When my first son was little I used the bottom for baby stuff, then as he got older and was mobile I put milk crates under it and filled them full of his toys. easy clean up and fun for him to dig through the crates to get toys. Now with the next one on the way I am using just the top for the baby and keeping the crates there. :)

ElbertMom
09-19-2001, 12:21 PM
I had an old TV cart in a wood tone that was sitting in the garage. It has a top shelf and two shelves below, as well as wheels on the bottom. Since the nursery is very bright, I painted the shelves white and the spindles red. I bought a changing mattress for the top and two plastic, brightly colored crates for the two bottom shelves. These were purchased at the Container Store. I buy wipes by the case at Costco and keep the wipes on the bottom shelf out of sight in the crate since they are heavy. The upper crate is full of diapers (holds about 150-200). I also bought a little metal rack that is coated with plastic (intended for toiletries in the bathroom) at Walmart and had my husband secure it to the end of the cart. The top shelf of the rack holds a box of wipes and lotion. I probably have $20 into the table not including the mattress and cover which would have been required for a dresser. It works great and cost me very little to create.

Amy in Ohio
09-24-2001, 10:52 AM
Our son is almost 3 years old & while we are working on potty training, he is still in diapers. We've had a changing table since he was born. We have a wonderful Moosehead one - it was expensive, about $265 at a local children's furniture store, but it's the largest & deepest one I've ever seen, & we can still change him on it, even at his size. I did not get so fancy as to get the nice wicker baskets to store stuff in, but I have stored all his towels, washcloths, blankets, undershirts, & diapering needs on it. Now he climbs up onto it when we change him. I have a baby on the way & I know we'll enjoy using it for another few years.

HOBSON725
09-24-2001, 12:06 PM
All of you have such wonderful ideas. I have come across some "perfect" storage ideas at Target that I plan to use with the changing table. Thanks for the great ideas!!! Keep up the good work!
~ECH