PDA

View Full Version : Bought a used crib...

newmama
08-24-2001, 09:24 PM
A friend told me I should look around at garage sales for a good quality used crib. I was thrilled when I found a Jenny Lind by Stork Craft for only $50. It's a few year old and only 1 child slept in it - it seems to be in great shape. Then I bought the book Baby Bargains and the first thing I read is that used cribs are a definite no-no. I have looked it over and over and it seems very stable and safe. Now after reading this book I am torn... any differing opinions on the used crib thing?

SarahD
08-26-2001, 03:28 PM
I also bought a used crib. I bought a Bassett which was only used for one child and is very sturdy & solid. A sealy mattress came with it. The way I look at it is, after my first baby is in the crib it will be used when I want to use it for my 2nd or 3rd babies. I think the main concern about using a used crib is knowing if the correct hardware is on it or if any hardware might be missing. Also you may not know if there was a recall on that particular crib. If it is only a few years old then I would assume it meets all safety standards (unlike much older cribs which would be questionable). You could call Stork Craft and ask them to send you a booklet or any info they have on your model. Also ask them if there were any recalls on that particular crib model. If it would make you feel better, you could also see if they sell the hardware for the crib. You could replace that if you thought you needed to. This is just my opinion although I'm sure some people will disagree with me. I feel very confident about using my crib for my baby. Good luck!

SarahD