PDA

View Full Version : Warning about ordering a crib from Sears

elainegl
09-28-2001, 03:22 PM
I recently ordered a Simmons crib from Sears.com (the Meridian) and got it for an excellent price ($215.99 + $35 shipping). The crib got here FAST (ordered 9/22, delivered 9/28). However, I have one warning. The crib that I received has exposed hardware and the foot release. I didn't figure this out until I had it all put together. I had checked Simmons website and it said all of their cribs have the new Easy Slide (hidden hardware) feature (it wasn't specified at Sears.com).

I called Sears and they are being very helpful in trying to figure out what happened...whether it was Sears that sent an old one they had in stock or whether it was drop-shipped from Simmons. Either way, they are trying to resolve it, but I just wanted others to be sure to specifically ask before ordering from Sears whether that specific crib has hidden hardware. My biggest gripe is that if I want to exchange for the newer model, I'll have to take the crib apart and put it back in the box. They'll pay return shipping.

Also, I ordered a Shermag glider from Sears.com that same day. It got here yesterday. It has a crack in the wood, but it doesn't go all the way through so I haven't decided what to do about it. Again, I can either take it back apart, rebox it and ship it back, or they will give me a 15% credit to keep it.

With all that has happened, I'm still pretty happy with Sears.com, at least the way they handle problems (so far).

Take care,
Elaine

laura2001
09-29-2001, 05:34 PM
You are a far more loyal customer than I am. I've never bought baby stuff from them..but I did buy a microwave...when it was delivered and installed it was defective...took me 4 months to get my credit card credited...I will never buy anything over $100 from that store.
Just my 2 cents :)

jra
09-30-2001, 03:42 PM
I went to the store to order my crib from Sears instead of online. I ordered it on June 30th and the book stated a 6-8 week delivery wait. I'm not due until Nov. 17th, so I was fine with that. After I paid the entire amount, the clerk told me, Oh yeah, the expected delivery date is Sept. 6th, but check in cause it shouldn't take that long. (10 week wait) Fine. Well, Sept 6th rolled around and no call from Sears. I called on the 7th and they said it was not in and the new date was 9/25. But they would keep checking with me and get back to me. Well, after not hearing from them for almost 2 weeks, I called again. Now the date is either 9/30 or 10/2, they weren't sure. They would call their buyer and give me a firm delivery date on 9/24. On 9/24, they called to tell me they reached their buyer, but the buyer needed to talk to his vendor. So 3 months later, I still had no crib and no date of expected delivery. I finally said forget it and got my money back.
Jennifer

elainegl
10-16-2001, 09:05 PM
Just to give an update...it turns out that Sears decided not to go with the new hidden hardware that Simmons uses on most of its cribs, so if you order a crib from Sears, the hardware will be exposed. I decided to keep the crib since I got it for such a great deal and if I had known in advance that I could save $150 by going with the exposed hardware, I would have done it willingly. I got great service from Sears. I was in touch with a supervisor and she checked up on things and always called back in time.

Take care,
Elaine in Dallas

Jackie
10-23-2001, 10:18 PM
FYI,

About the Shermag rocker issue. I ordered one from Babies-R-Us and waited the full 12 weeks for it to arrive. After unboxing it and putting it together, I found out the arm was broke. I returned it to Babies-R-Us and demanded my money back, even though it was a special order. So you might consider taking the rocker back. By the way, I was so glad this happened because I found out that for approximately the same price, I was able to by a rocker recliner (in leather) and it is so much more comfortable than a regular glider and only slightly bigger.