PDA

View Full Version : Confused about crib mattress depth

tigalig
09-30-2001, 11:44 AM
The crib mattress we purchased is five inches deep. So far, all of the crib sheets I have found (the one that came with the bedding set, Lands End, and Gerber) have nine-inch deep pockets which makes for a loose fit despite the elastic all around.

Does anyone know if there are there different-sized crib sheets out there? Or did we purchase an extraordinarily thin mattress? Any assistance will be appreciated.

Ida U.

alandenisefields
10-04-2001, 11:01 AM
Ida,

Thanks for using our message boards.

We don't know of any resource that makes a crib sheet to fit a 5 inch mattress. As you know, we (and other safety advocates) recommend using a sheet that fits snugly over the mattress.

Our advice would be to return the mattress you have and get a standard size mattress. Hate to have to tell you this but unless your make sheets yourself we think you'll be out of luck..

Best wishes,

alan and denise fields
authors, BABY BARGAINS

jra
10-04-2001, 12:33 PM
Now I am confused! What is the depth of a standard size mattress? I have the Colgate Classica I and I just measured it and it is a little under 5 inches.
Jennifer

jra
10-04-2001, 03:46 PM
Now I am confused! What is the depth of a standard size mattress? I have the Colgate Classica I and I just measured it and it is 5 inches and when I looked it up on the colgate website, it was listed as measuring 5 inches.
Jennifer

kbuckard
10-08-2001, 04:14 PM
the standard crib mattress depth is 5" whether it is foam or coil. i think the fields are mistaken with their message.

have you tried washing the sheets to see if they shrink at all? that might create the snug fit you need. maybe it is 9" deep so that it covers the bottom of the mattress by 4" and stays on better. i'd love to hear the real reason though.

cricketnmatt
10-11-2001, 02:47 PM
My hubby and I recently purchased our crib, and on the box and in the instructions it specifically states that the mattress should not exceed a depth of 6 inches (I believe). We purchased the Land's End cotton crib sheets, and found them to fit quite well. I washed them first per the instructions on the label. We also have a crib mattress cover on it.

Crystal :)

colgate
11-13-2001, 12:24 AM
Hi. Hope you don't mind my comments since I work for the mattress manufacturer that some of you have mentioned. By law, a crib mattress sold in the U.S. cannot exceed six inches in thickness when measured from the end of the binding to the end of the binding. Most foam mattresses are five inches thick...like the Classica I crib mattress. Different sheet manufacturers make different size sheets. The important thing is that the sheets cannot be pulled easily off of the mattress, from the top of the mattress...especially at the corners. Hope this helps.