PDA

View Full Version : What do you have on top of your combo dresser to use it as a changing area?

christic
10-01-2001, 08:53 PM
I'd like to buy one of the combo dresser units that Denise and Alan recommend so highly, but I'm confused about exactly what type of changing pad/matress everyone uses on top of these things. Since changing tables always have those railings around them it makes me wonder if just a pad on top of a dresser is safe. I've seen very unattractive changing pads at BabiesRUs with straps but unless the pad is anchored to the dresser I don't see how the straps are that helpful.

Is it just first baby paranoia or is it reasonable to imagine reaching for a wipe and the baby just rolls right off?!

mom@home
10-02-2001, 02:11 PM
I have a Simmons combo high-low dresser that I love. For the changing pad, I have a Simmons Contoured changing pad - the edges of this pad are raised to prevent the baby from rolling off and straps to also make sure the baby is secure. This pad screws into the back of the changing table and is very stable - it costs about $20. You can also purchase a Simmons terry-cloth changing table cover for this pad for about $10. I purchased both the pad and cover at Babies R' Us. Good luck!
-Lauren

christic
10-04-2001, 09:54 AM
Thanks Lauren,

Does the Simmons pad work with any brand of furniture? We're looking at a Babi Italia dresser. In a copy of Martha Stewart baby I saw a basket weave tray with sides that was used in the same way but it never said where to find such a thing...must have just picked it up in her local flea market or something!

sarsah
10-12-2001, 09:32 PM
I have a Simmons dresser (just a regular single level dresser, not the high/low combo) and used the Simmons contoured changing pad. It does come with a tab and screw that you can use to anchor it to the back of the dresser. My son is now 16 months old and we have not anchored it to the dresser. I don't always use the straps, although now that my son is soooo active, they sometimes come in handy. I don't ever leave him on the changing pad unless I am right there in front of him anyway.

Sarah....