PDA

View Full Version : crib mattresses and pads... confused!

elizabethaw
10-11-2001, 08:20 AM
I posted this in the baby bedding area but didn't get a response. Sorry for the double-posting.

I'm ordering the Colgate Classica mattress. It's waterproof, right? So do I need a mattress pad? Land's End makes one that I'm sure is nice, but it's $30, so I'd rather not spend the money if it isn't necessary.

Should I get waterproof pads that go *over* the sheets? under?

Also, I plan to use a pack-n-play bassinette (small size) at night for the first month or so. I only need a sheet for that, right? Is it true that you shouldn't really use anything else with the pack-and-play bassinettes?

Thanks!
Elizabeth

wen
10-11-2001, 10:12 AM
I'm a mom-to-be also so I'm not speaking from experience - only from what research I've done so far.

I've found that most people tend to want something to go along with the mattress and crib sheet - the issue is more whether that "something" goes under the sheet (i.e., waterproof cover) or over it (i.e., crib sheet savers or Ultimate Crib Sheet). There seem to be pros and cons to either approach. I went with crib sheet savers/Ultimate Crib sheet, primarily with the idea that it'll be easier/faster to clean up messes (which will be a life saver in the middle of the night).

I'm doing the same as you with the Pak n' Play - using the bassinet in the beginning - and I'm not convinced that I need to buy a sheet. But, I would love to hear everyone's advice on whether one is needed!

sarsah
10-12-2001, 09:28 PM
My son is 16 months old, so I can tell you what has worked for me.
We have a Simmons crib mattress which has a waterproof covering. I also ordered 2 of the Lands End waterproof mattress pads. I have been very happy with the mattress pads -- they are not crackly like you would think something waterproof would be. I'm not exactly sure what the purpose of the mattress pad is (since the mattress is waterproof), but it does make the crib a little cushier and I can really notice the difference when the pad is not there.
I also used the Nojo sheet protectors when DS was little (couldn't roll). Once he started moving around in his crib, these weren't very useful as they are fairly small, unlike the 'ultimate crib sheet'.

I used the Pack & Play bassinette for the first 6 weeks of DS's life (his nursery wasn't finished yet) and for naps until he got too heavy for it. I used only a sheet -- one of the Nojo terry cloth ones. You could probably get away with not using a sheet at all.

Sarah