PDA

View Full Version : Cribs: Open-slotted head and foot board vs. solid?

eekwan
08-22-2002, 11:35 PM
In searching for a crib, I find my self gravitating toward the cribs with the solid head/foot boards rather than the open-slotted ones. Mainly because the solid ends seem cozier and there is less risk of the baby slipping an arm through one of the slots and possibly hitting her head on the rail.

However, every manufacturer seems to have more open-slotted cribs and maybe just one or two models with the solid head/foot board.

Am I missing something? Anyone have any opinions on the pros and cons of each?

Thanks!

KathyO
08-23-2002, 10:15 AM
The solid ends of these cribs are often made of particle board. This often means that they are much heavier than ordinary wood (this can be an advantage or a disadvantage), and the cheaper grades of PB _can_ be more prone to disintegrating under stress, so that fittings can loosen or come out after long-term use.

In theory, PB is environmentally cool because it uses the trees more efficiently, rather than cutting up even more trees just to get solid wood. But if it means that the crib gets pitched out after 2 years instead of 10 or more, then it doesn't save anyone anything.

I have an open-ended crib (spindles on the ends, flat slats on the sides). For what it's worth, I haven't had particular problems with limbs getting stuck or DD hitting her head on the rail. And trust me, your baby will hit his/her head on everything in the whole darned house anyway, when he/she starts learning to walk.

Cheers,

KathyO

Momof3Labs
08-23-2002, 12:34 PM
I like the open headboard better because the crib seems to be better ventilated. And since poor ventilation is supposed to increase the risk of SIDS, the open headboard seems safer to me.

Lori
due 10/12 w/ #1

mspacman
08-24-2002, 11:58 AM
Also, if the crib is pointed toward the door of the nursery, with an open end you can just peek in the door and see if baby's awake or asleep. If baby's awake, he can see YOU which is comforting.

You can always drape a quilt or blanket over the outside of the headboard or footboard to give the baby shade or privacy. (That's one way to use the "useless" quilt that comes with bedding sets.)