PDA

View Full Version : Jardine crib JPMA/ACT Certification?

phirey
08-26-2002, 03:38 PM
I am one of many soon-to-be parents on the message boards considering a Jardine Wicker Collection crib from BRU. The crib seems solid as a rock, and with the exception of the exposed hardware, it is really the only style we like in our price range. Jardine got a "B" in the latest version of the book, pending more parent input. Until that becomes available, I have a question concerning their safety:

I was recently at the store asking BRU about its lack of JPMA certification. I was told that the Jardine cribs are the "bottom of the line," and therefore only meet government standards, but would not meet JPMA standards.

I decided to investigate further, so I called Jardine customer service and asked if they were applying for JPMA status on their cribs or not. The answer I received was that the cribs actually meet something she called "ACT" certification, which is "to a higher standard than JPMA," so they don't need to "bother" with JPMA. Of course when I asked the customer service rep what ACT stood for, she said -- get this -- "I have no clue."

She also did tell me, FWIW, that Jardine is an exclusive brand sold only in Babies R Us and Toys R Us stores. They are a subsidiary of Dorel (also parent company of Cosco -- yikes!), and the cribs are all made in Taiwan...

Have you heard of this mystery certification? If so, is it indeed a higher standard that that of JPMA? Would you buy this crib or do I need to settle on one of he other, seemingly less sturdy and less "our style" cribs in our price range?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Peggy
due 11/23