PDA

View Full Version : furniture--combo vs. changing table

Tgerson
10-14-2002, 03:14 PM
I ordered the pali "amy" changing table and i am wondering if i made a mistake. should i cancel it and order a dresser combo and just use that as the changing table? it's twice the price, but is it worth it? i also ordered an armoire, so i figured i didn't need the extra space, but i was hoping someone could give me some direction. thanks

Caroline99
10-14-2002, 04:41 PM
My first baby has not yet arrived so I don't know what you should or shouldn't do. I can tell you what we've decided to do based on what we've seen our friends and relatives do with their kids, which is to skip the changing table and just use the top of the dresser or chest of drawers as a changing table. W/ an armoire, it sounds like you don't need the extra storage space, but will it always be so? Do you plan to keep the armoire and dresser in the room even once your child is in a twin-sized bed? Can you re-purpose them in other rooms? Also bear in mind that baby clothes take up less room than toddler or kid-sized clothes.

HTH,
Caroline

kathsmom
10-20-2002, 11:45 PM
Hi, Tgerson!

I did not have a changing table with DD (who is now 6 years old), but we bought one for DS (born 9/23/02). DH and I felt that it was a good investment, even though this will probably be our last child. We have changed our friend's children on the bed, floor, etc., and our backs ached when we were done! As far as the dresser combo, if you are talking about the hi-lo dresser/changing table, I don't like those. It's not that I have had a bad experience with them, I just don't like the look of them with one side being higher than the other when you no longer have the changing pad on it. I am one of those people who likes everything symmetrical - so it's just the aesthetics I don't like.

HTH and good luck!

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and Andrew (9/23/02)

nigele
10-21-2002, 08:58 AM
We bought a combo unit (dresser/changing table) for DS and now that he is in his room, we find it very useful. He was in our room for three months and I changed him on our bed throughout the night. I really wish we had invested in a $100 changing table - it was a pain having everything all over the bed and several times he peed on our comforter! I know there is not much use for the changing table once your babies are out of diapers but I still feel it would have been worth it. You might consider buying a changing table that matches the finish of your other nursery furniture but costs less than Pali.