PDA

View Full Version : Nursery Furniture

mommychic
10-23-2002, 01:30 PM
I just received the most wonderful advice from a dear friend of mine with at 2-year-old. I was showing my friend pictures of nursery furniture that we are considering. I was asking what other pieces in addition to the crib are really necessary? Bookcases, chests, armoires, etc.… Well, my total (before discussing this with her) was almost pushing $2,000! But all in all, I’m thinking this furniture will last my child until they move out to college and then can be used in a guestroom.

My dear girlfriend showed me the light! She had purchased a similar set up (at a similar price) and strongly suggested I reconsider. Here’s why:

Yes, we all see nursery furniture for what it is a “nursery”. But once your child is a toddler and has developed their own little personality many people like to redecorate according to the child’s interest. My girlfriend’s son has a fascination for trains. His nursery is Peter Rabbit. His furniture is dark cherry. She wishes she could transform his room into a fun toddler train room, but what to do with the dark cherry furniture and all the peter rabbit accessories? She feels like she’s stuck with what she started out with. Knowing that her parents spent a small fortune on the furniture for them, they just cannot part with it. In a matter of two years her son has out grown the room (in her eyes).

What I’ve decided to do for pennies of my original price tag. Is purchase a white crib, white armoire, white bookcase and white changing table. The armoire I’m purchasing at a nude furniture store for only $300 and painting it myself then adding molding and legs to it to give it that “poshtots.com” look. I love how you can compartmentalize the armoires for kids; there’s so much room in them! The bookcase I can get from Ikea, the crib and changing table I’ll get something nice, decent, but not going crazy as they won’t be used for too long. The bookcase and armoire can be painted later to fit any décor we decide on. I like theme rooms like nautical, trains, english gardens, etc.…. When our baby is a toddler and shows us an interest (if it’s a boy that is, what girl will say “Mom I want an english garden in my room!:)”) then we’ll redecorate. Paint murals, paint fun furniture, buy accessories, etc.…. There is so much out there today to make decorating easier than ever before.

Another thing I realized is there is so much crib bedding out there for either a boy or a girl which makes you think that’s how you have to decorate. I was all set to do that and select a boy pattern and a girl pattern. Then thought to myself, but when I have a second child and it’s a different gender am I going to discard the bedding and have to purchase another one? NO! I’m not. One nursery set up for us is sufficient. That said. Crib is white, changing table is white, bedding is a neutral shade of lemon and sage!!

I found this information most valuable. It was something I never stopped to think about. Right now we’re focused on newborns and infants. It was so refreshing to stop and think of a toddler and how the room will work for them in 2 years.

I hope this was helpful to anyone else in the same dilemma I was facing!

Lisa

m2tandk
10-23-2002, 02:42 PM
Excellent advice! I was all for spending alot too til I really thought about what kind of investment I have made so far with my children's rooms. We had a crib, then a toddler bed(big waste!!), then twin beds, now my DD is almost 14 and wants a full size bed. I wish I had just bought a convertable crib(did they have them back in 1989??) to make into a full size bed later and more grown up looking dresser and armoire. I had very "babyish gender specific" bedding too with DD and DS. This tim(when I have another baby) we are getting white furniture that converts to a full bed and we are not getting a combo changing table top dresser. Just a regular dresser and armoire we can use for many years that matches the crib color. Gender neutral bedding too. Then, if we have any more babies after that we will use them again. Its hard to think into the future! I didn't and we had so much STUFF we can't use now and could have done without. Like the toddler bed!!! Good luck to you!

Kelly
not PG yet but TTC diligently!

mama2be
10-23-2002, 06:27 PM
Lisa and Kelly,

I am so glad that I too saw the light before I did all of this...must say I was tempted at first to do everything, but once I made up my mind I have not looked back...

I thought I wanted a convertible crib but my friend said not to do that that if you have more children then just put them in the original crib and buy a new bed for the toddler. I got a used round crib and am doing the room in periwinkle/royal blue...funny some friends look at the fabric and say "it looks more girlie...but pretty", and others say "it looks more boyish"...either way it will be a frilly nursery no matter how many children I have. I have a table that my father made for me when Iwas little, it was 70's green (retro) and just had it painted periwinkle, with a wood stove and sink he made also (yep that is going in the nursery-even though this first one is a boy). No changing table, just using an old dresser that is pretty and the perfect height.

I did drop money on the fabric, and I have dropped money on the stroller, but I have picked and chosen what to splurge on and what not to. Every single piece of my maternity clothes has come from 2nd hand stores (some with new tags)...yet I have diopini silk for the baby room, and an expensive stroller...I bet I have 5 dresses, 8 pairs of jeans, 2 pairs of black pants, 5 trendy tops and have not spent more than $60 on clothes yet (at 6 months)...

If you are creative you really can save tons of money...

m2tandk
10-24-2002, 11:01 AM
I am doing pretty much the same things when I have another. Even though I am not PG yet, I have maternity clothes. I have probably 8 or 9 pairs of jeans, lots of tees, overalls, and a few trendy tops. Two pairs of kakhis and a pair of black pants too and 1 sweater. That's enough for me. I do not work so I can go casual all the time.

I will definitely buy a decent car seat and stroller. Those will be my 2 splurge items. I don't need a swing with 6 speeds or a 5 way pack and play. I am thinking Simmons furniture(decent quality and it should last quite awhile) Their new venetian line interests me alot, but the crib isn't convertible so I don't know yet. But I love the lines and style of the dresser and tall chest and it comes in white.

And, I totally love the John Lennon collection of bedding and accessories. I know its probably popular, but I love it anyway. IF I get PG and find I am having a girl it may be hard for me not to go with girlie bedding so I won't promise DH anything!! But, I was in a baby store today and they had such wonderful bedding sets. I need to go back and look for gender neutral stuff eventually!

I think there are definitely things you will spend more money on according to your time, money, and taste!

Kelly

nigele
10-24-2002, 11:40 AM
I bought a relatively inexpensive crib since it is used for such a short time in a child's life. I did, however, invest in a really nice dresser/changing table combo from Bonavita. The higher piece on the top (with the drawer) is removable and can become a night stand later on so DS will have a real dresser when we no need a changing table. I figured this piece would last him throughout his teenage years. Bonavita sells a lot of coorditing pieces including bookcases, twin beds, full beds, etc. which we will look into when he outgrows the crib. Both pieces are in the same natural finish which can fit into any decor we decide on in the future.

MinnieMouse
10-24-2002, 12:27 PM
We got a really nice Childcraft convertible crib (on clearance at BRU for less than 1/2 price). It converts first to a toddler bed..then a full size headboard. It's in a nice combination of woods...90% natural oak finish with a dark cherry rail along the top of the "headboard."

Then we bought a RumbleTuff Hi/Lo dresser that matched the crib (natural with dark cherry top and knobs) that we can get the hutch for if we want later on. We looked long and hard for a nicer bookcase and found a great one for not too much $$$ at Target. All Ikea's weren't natural wood, which was quite frustrating.

I went with the natural instead of white since I though it would "grow" better for either a boy or a girl. We are planning on having a second child and we will just buy new furniture for our dd when the time comes and use all this for the second as well.

Oh and we went with the Serendipity crib set by Kids Line. It's basically an aquatic Noah's Ark and works great for either boys or girls!

HTH

Christine

mommychic
10-24-2002, 08:14 PM
I LOVE the Venetian Crib by Simmons. The Field's gave them a great rating so I'm going to go with it. I just love the look of the crib!!!

Lisa

m2tandk
10-25-2002, 06:30 AM
Ditto! The Venetian set is wonderful!!! Its my absolute favorite right now. Its just not a convertable! Darn! Wish they could make a convertable style! I think it would make a beautiful full size bed.

Kelly

Caroline99
10-29-2002, 05:38 PM
I'm confused as to why dark cherry doesn't convert to a train theme as easily as some other color. It seems to me that it's the accessories that determine the theme of the room. Or have I missed something?

mommychic
10-29-2002, 11:20 PM
Because she wanted to hand paint the furniture. She wouldn't DARE paint the cherry wood!