PDA

View Full Version : castors on crib legs necessary?

kdl02
11-02-2002, 12:32 AM
we are looking at a L'il Angels (Canadian manufacturer) convertible crib, however none of them come with castors on the legs. is it a big deal to be able to wheel the crib around? or will we do just as fine with having it fixed in one place?
KDL in Canada

megsmom
11-02-2002, 11:27 AM
I suppose all of this would depend where you decide to put your crib in baby's room. We have ours against a wall and the wheels are absolutely essential when you decide to change the sheets. I can't imagine not being able to easily move the crib. It's also nice to be able to move it around when vacuuming and move it to retrieve toys when they go underneath. If you had your crib with only the headboard against the wall and had access to both sides, maybe the no wheels would be okay.

Jen
mom to Meghan
born 7/13/01

megsmom
11-02-2002, 11:29 AM
I suppose also you could buy castors and put them on yourself if you wanted them but you might want to make sure that doesn't void the crib warranty since you would be adding to the original design. Just another thought. I remember taking a month to decide on cribs weighing all the features.

Jen
mom to Meghan
born 7/13/01

suzska
11-02-2002, 01:38 PM
We purchased a crib with casters (Pali--April), but the one we received didn't have locking casters (and I never bothered to contact Pali--I think it was advertised as having locking ones). Since we have hardwood floors, I didn't like the idea of ones that didn't lock, so we never installed the casters. It's just fine without them, and since we have hardwood floors the crib slides easily enough (but not too easily) if I need to move it to clean or retrieve a toy. I suppose if we were putting the crib on carpeting, we probably would have attached them.

Momof3Labs
11-02-2002, 10:23 PM
I personally like having castors on the crib. It would be next to impossible for me to move it without them, and it is soooo easy with them!

Lori
mommy to Colin Daniel 9/28/02

ecarley
11-05-2002, 01:39 PM
The wheels are a godsend for us. I regularly move the crib to retrieve pacifiers, toys, blankets, and animals from underneath. If the crib weren't up against a wall this might not be an issue. But for us, rolling the crib is a lot easier than climbing under.

Tiare
12-29-2002, 01:29 AM
Did you ever get a L'il Angels Crib? I saw one I liked on Ebay but have no info on it..

emmiem
12-29-2002, 08:40 PM
I find castors indespensible! It is almost impossible to get the sheets and bumper off and on without moving the crib. It slides so much easier with castors and does not harm the floor.