PDA

View Full Version : Childcraft Crib assembly rant/manufacturer rave

SoftailDiva
11-04-2002, 03:37 PM
Warning! It is extremely easy to damage your Childcraft crib during assembly when trying to install the caster wheels into the leg bases!!
We ordered Childcraft model 27771 through Sears (the Sears "Justin II" line) and received it in a timely manner. The assembly was up to us (I was unaware of that, duh). We had a LOT of difficulty getting the casters to "snap" in. The instructions say "Turn crib gently onto one side. Insert casters into bushings in lower end of corner posts. Press each caster firmly (this worked on 1 caster only). When fitted, carefully return crib to upright position. If the casters have not already been seated, they will snap into position." BULLS***!!! The casters were barely seated after lots of shoving, so when we uprighted the crib and pressed down -- gently I might add -- to seat the casters, we heard this "crack" and a crib leg had split, approximately 3 inches long from the so-called "bushing" that is supposed to keep this from happening. The hole in the crib leg was far smaller than the diameter of the caster leg.

I called Childcraft this morning and at first the cust. service rep tried to tell me to call Sears. Like they had anything to do with it! When I *repeated* that this item had come in the box direct from Childcraft, she took my name & address and is sending me a new headboard (she'd misunderstood that Sears did not assemble this). Needless to say I was absolutely thrilled, I thought we were screwed since the installation was up to us, and even following the directions we "broke" it. I have to compliment Childcraft on their immediate response to send a new part. (Now what do I do with this cracked board?!) :)

I was told to expect my new headboard in 2-4 weeks. Thank God my due date is not sooner than that!

So -- heads up and don't put off crib assembly until the 11th hour!