PDA

View Full Version : How do you choose a rocker? What do you look for?

Bridget in MD
11-15-2002, 10:33 AM
Hi,

I am interested in buying a rocker for our nursery, but I have no idea where to start. What options should I look for in a rocker? Is Dutalier a brand, or is that the type? I have sat in a few, but I am starting to see the few chairs I have looked at must be basic models, as some must recline and have removeable slip covers...

Thanks!
Bridget =)

Due 2/5/2003

m2tandk
11-15-2002, 11:59 AM
I actually sat in LOTS of rockers before I picked mine. Its a Brooks glider. Cheaper than Dutalier, but I though it was just as nice! I wanted a cushion that was comfy and matched my furniture and I got to choose from alot of different colors. Mine is very quite too. That was important to me.

Hope that helps a bit

Kelly
TTC #3

gour0
11-15-2002, 01:20 PM
I chose the Dutalier 11789 which is their sleigh style with recliner and position lock. A good place to look is Good Night Ben. They are in Ontario Canada and are super nice. They send out fabric samples and are very helpful. Definitely go sit in several. I went to Babies R Us to try out some. Also, you could do a search on this message board. There have been lots of discussions about gliders and rockers.

etwahl
11-15-2002, 01:36 PM
I also ordered the 11789 from Good Night Ben. I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival. I looked at several different brands, but what I liked most about Dutailier and the 11789 was that it was fully reclining, locked into position, and had a HUGE choice of fabric swatches and wood colors. Think of this chair as not just a baby chair, but something you can use for many years to come. I wanted all the features because I could totally see myself using it as a reading chair and loved the idea of reclining. Also, I thought it would be nice to have that feature if you were nursing and could just lie back and nap afterwards with the baby (good bonding!)

I also ordered the matching ottoman that had a nursing stool within it. It seemed most practical for nursing and long-term use.

I did all the research and Good Night Ben had the best prices, and everyone has raved about their excellent customer service which is important when you are buying a big ticket items. I know there is another reclining sleigh style by Dutailier, but the 11789 had a thicker more comfortable cushion.

Definitely go to a store and try them out. They're exceptionally comfortable.

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

nigele
11-15-2002, 06:19 PM
I also ordered from Good Night Ben and had excellent service. I got a Dutalier which is a great brand. One important feature I wanted was a chair with a high enough back so I could lean my head on it in the middle of the night. My chair reclines but I don't recline it all that often. I really appreciate that at 3:00 a.m.! I also ordered the ottoman with the nursing stool which was about $30 extra, but well worth it.

egoldber
11-20-2002, 10:43 AM
Dutailer is a brand. I didn't get one until after DD was born, and I chose mine by going and sitting in them. I picked the one that was comfiest for me when holding her in the nursing position. I ended up with a Relax-R brand glider from Buy Buy Baby in Rockville. They had a few more upscale models there than at BRU. BBB also claimed that Dutailer has a low end and a high end line and that they carried the high end ones, whereas BRU carried the low end ones. Don't know how true this is, but it sounds plausible.

HTH,

Rachels
11-20-2002, 03:02 PM
I used to live in Baltimore (Towson, Cockeysville)! Have you taken Maeve to the Aquarium yet? I just took Abigail to the one in Boston, and she was completely enchanted. It's a great outing!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

akc
11-20-2002, 05:22 PM
OOh, no! I took her to the zoo, but not the aquarium. Maybe that's what we'll do on Friday which is our M&M day (Mommy & Maeve day!) Most of the time, we go to that durn rocker and that's about as far as we get!

:)

Bridget in MD
11-21-2002, 08:51 AM
Thanks everyone for your help! I have looked and looked online, but I am so reluctant to purchase something without trying it out, and I don't understand all the options (like locking vs. reclining). Right now, I am actually considering a handmade one, there is an Amish man who makes them, and since I am no where near any retail store with a decent selection, and I can actually try this one out, it might be my best option!

Alexa, I live in So. Md, in Calvert Co... DH is from Baltimore (well, Bel Air!).

Thanks again!

Bridget =)

puppylitomom
11-22-2002, 06:49 PM
We got a Relax-R rocker that swivels and reclines, and is made with black leather, so it actually fits well as a piece of furniture for the living room (in fact, my husband has been using it constantly before the baby is born!).

We also ordered it from a specialty store in Manchester, NH, called Blanchet Canadian Rocker - had really good prices, especially on Dutailier, and wide selection. If you live nearby, it is great to go visit - and, they also will just order it for you, at competitive prices.

akc
08-25-2003, 11:01 PM
Hi Bridget -

Where are you in MD? I'm in Baltimore?!

Anyway, are you looking for a rocker or a glider? There is a difference & it helps narrow it down. PBK and a couple other companies make a big chair rocker and there is always the good old fashioned wooden type. The disadvantage is that you've got to watch later when little fingers can get under the rocker & it's not stable for them to pull themselves up on it. A glider solves these problems and is really easy to rock in.

I wanted a glider-like chair that looks like a real upholstered chair and found a Dutalier one that was exactly that. It is a comfy upholstered chair with a pleat to the floor that hides the glider mechanism. We have loved it and I can use it in any other room later. I got it through Bellini but here's a picture of it:
http://www.rocking-chairs.com/16000.htm

You can use their fabrics or provide your own (but be warned it took about 16 weeks to get it!) I just wasn't a big fan of all the wood on the gliders and wanted a chair that looked like a real "big person's" chair and could be used elsewhere.

Here's a pic of the chair in my daughter's room. Good luck!

Alexa