PDA

View Full Version : Quality of Arms-Reach Co-sleeper?

daisymommy
11-16-2002, 10:06 PM
Josh has just about outgrown our beloved Graco Triad Co-sleeper/bassinet...but I'm not ready to put him in his crib! I never thought I would say this, but DH and I have fallen in love with cosleeping with our baby! I'm too nervous to do the whole "Family Bed" thing--although I must say that on numerous occasions I have woken up in the morning with Josh sleeping peacefully in my arms, with no recollection of when or how he got there during the night (obviously I scooped him up when he was whimpering and brought him into bed with me, but it has become such second nature to me that I don't even really wake up anymore when I do it.) To answer the inevitable question of how well we are all sleeping--We're all getting a wonderful 6-7 straight hours at a time, and Josh just turned 3 months today!

Okay, so here's my question (FINALLY you say?!) how good is the Arms Reach Co-sleeper? Does anyone have any opinions on it's quality and usefulness? Are there any other better co-sleepers out there for bigger babies? Any advice on this subject is much appreciated!

joodyjr
11-17-2002, 06:24 PM
I have both a Arm's Reach and a Graco Pack N Play. I think they are equal in terms of quality. However, keep in mind the weight limit on the co sleeper (as a co sleeper not playpen) is only like 15 or 18 lbs. A drawback in my opinion. I did buy it nonetheless. I also never use it. I think it's a terrific idea, but not for a newborn that wakes frequently to eat and needs changing as well. If your son isn't near the weight limit (double check, I may be wrong, but I'm sure it said 15 or 18 lbs)and since he's sleeping through the night, it sounds like it might work well for you. Since I already have a Pack n Play, I am going to sell the Co sleeper. If you decide to go with the Arm's Reach, feel free to e-mail me if you'd be interested in buying one that's been used 1 time!
[email protected]

nohomama
11-18-2002, 09:52 AM
According to the Arms Reach website, the recommended wieght limit on the co-sleeper is 30 lbs. You can find that and other info on the co-sleeper if you select the Original Co-Sleeper under the product menu, then click on "frequently asked questions."

We used ours until Lola was about 5 -5 1/2 months old and LOVED it for the same reasons you mentioned. We stopped using it when she was able to pull herself up to standing...long before she reached the weight limit. At almost 15 months she's still not 30 lbs and she's been in the 75th-90th percentile for height and weight since she was a few months old. Arms Reach also recommends that you stop using the co-sleeper when your baby can roll over. We felt perfectly safe using it beyond that recommendation but I imagine others don't. Also, the co-sleeper converts into a play pen and we used it that way for another 6 months or so. I wholeheartedly recommend the product.

HTH,

nohomama
11-18-2002, 09:54 AM
I forgot to include the address. www.armsreach.com

joodyjr
11-18-2002, 08:11 PM
I'm glad someone else responded. I don't know where I got 15 lbs...??? Sorry!

nohomama
11-19-2002, 01:57 PM
I think the bassinet feature of most PNP is something like 15-18 lbs and that's why those numbers came to mind.

daisymommy
11-19-2002, 07:26 PM
Thanks you guys! I just won an auction for one on ebay today! I got one with the nice ivory Cotton Tales custom cover. I'm so excited!!! I remember reading somewhere that the same size sheets for a Pack and Play fit the Arms Reach mattress. Is that true? I'd like to find something soft, like maybe knit. I wonder if theres a portable crib sheet out there that would fit. Also, did the mattress "rustle" alot like in the Pack in Play? I hope not because Josh doesn't sleep well in the bassinet portion of the PNP!

raynjen
11-20-2002, 08:29 AM
Sorry I can't answer the rest of your questions, but I can tell you that the PNP sheets are not a soft knit and really wouldn't stay on very well.

Having said that, it is VERY easy to make a sheet for this style of mattress if you have a sewing maching or can borrow one. Just buy a piece of fabric that can wrap around the mattress (in either direction) with 1" to spare on all sides. Fold the fabric in half with the right sides together. Sew on two sides 1/2" from the edge. You can put snaps or velcro on the open end, but it isn't necessary. Basically you are making a pillow case. Make sure it fits tightly.

Jen
Mom to Noelle (10/25/01)

Zansu
11-20-2002, 11:28 AM
The mattress on the ARCS does not rattle. You can use portable crib sheets. I found mine at BRU, but I had to ask for help, b/c they are not well-displayed.

HTH
Suzanne

daisymommy
11-20-2002, 12:58 PM
Do you remember what brand they were? I don't know the measurements of the mattress or size sheet to be looking for. Do you? Thanks!

Zansu
11-20-2002, 03:10 PM
I think it was Koala Baby (or whatever the BRU brand is called). It's a knit sheet, so it's very soft. I'm reasonably sure that the package said it was for portable cribs, which seems to be a standard description.

It was in the bedding section at BRU, mixed in with the cradle and bassinet sheets.

I have the same ARCS as you, and my only advice would be to NEVER put the cover in the dryer.

HTH
Suzanne