PDA

View Full Version : ottoman v. no ottoman

LucyG
11-21-2002, 08:29 AM
We are planning to buy a glider, but I wanted to get some opinions on whether or not it's worth the money to also get a gliding ottoman. I have heard from some people that a nursing stool works just as well. I'd be interested in hearing from people who have gone both routes.
Thanks!

egoldber
11-21-2002, 10:57 AM
When I first started nursing I needed a nursing stool to get myself properly situated to nurse. Once we got the hang of nursing I loved the gliding ottoman. They do make gliding ottomans with a pop-out nursing stool, which I didn't know at the time. That seems pretty ideal to me.

HTH,

Shirale
11-21-2002, 11:09 AM
I would have to agree with Beth! I have the ottoman (i love it!) but when I first started nursing I needed to be properly positioned or I couldn't do it/it hurt- had I known I would have bought the one that has the nursing stool. It's very relaxing to be able to rock your baby with your feet up! My husband and I both love it!

lauramom
11-21-2002, 01:28 PM
Does your glider have a reclining feature? Is this something you would recommend??

egoldber
11-21-2002, 11:18 PM
Mine does recline and I really like that feature. Those times when you are SOOOO tired, you can lean back and let baby latch on! I was also grateful for that feature tonight. Sarah has been teething terribly the last few days and tonight she would only go to sleep with me holding her in the glider. We just leaned back, played our lullaby music and rocked away until she was asleep.

Momof3Labs
11-22-2002, 12:40 AM
I took the advice to skip the gliding ottoman, but when Colin was 3 weeks old I decided that the glider alone wasn't working for me. So I tested a friend's glider/ottoman combo and ran home and ordered my own gliding ottoman. I'd also recommend getting the nursing stool combo!

Lori
mommy to Colin Daniel 9/28/02

Shirale
11-22-2002, 11:53 AM
Again I'd have to agree with Beth that the recliner is worth it! We use it all the time, and sometimes after Amira is asleep I find myself rocking on the phone!! :-)
While nursing, when she is sick, teething, cranky, etc, etc, it has been wondeful! When I am relaxed- she relaxes more.

cara1
11-22-2002, 01:31 PM
I think some of it may depend on the way you normally feel comfortable sitting. When I first began nursing, the lactation consultant in the hospital took me out of the bed, made me sit in the bedside glider squarely, back straight, feet on the nursing stool. I tried that for a week and hated it. In my entire life, I've never sat that way. I always sit Indian style. Once I started doing it that way, DS and I were happily and successfully breastfeeding. So first see if you like the way it feels with your feet on the stool now, rather than just doing it because everyone tells you that you need a nursing stool.