PDA

View Full Version : glider too small for boppy pillow?

LucyG
12-03-2002, 08:19 AM
I am currently looking at gliders. I have heard that some gliders are too small to fit a person, a baby, and a Boppy pillow for nursing. Does anyone know whether this is the case with both Shermag and Dutailier gliders? I guess taking the Boppy to a store and trying it out is the best way to know, but I am considering ordering online from goodnightben.com and may not have the option to sit in many chairs first.

Goodnightben.com is having a sale now through Dec. 15. I am torn between a Shermag with multiposition and no recline (212884 - $400 for the glider and ottoman right now), and a Dutailier with mulitposition AND recline (11789 - $560 for set). Any advice from those of you who have been there on whether the recline feature is worth the extra money? Will a more basic model without the recline (the Shermag) suffice? We plan to use the chair in our living room after we no longer need it for the baby.

Momof3Labs
12-03-2002, 10:11 AM
First, I'd recommend using a My Brest Friend pillow over a Boppy. It fits you better and is easier to use, plus it will fit in a glider. (BTW - I much prefer nursing in bed!)

Second, I wish that I had gotten the recline - Colin often falls asleep on me, and it would be nice to recline and get extra comfy. But you need to decide whether it is worth the money to you.

Lori
mommy to Colin Daniel 9/28/02

LucyG
12-03-2002, 11:35 AM
With a multiposition glider, you can recline, but you just can't also glide while reclined. At least, this is how I understand it. The lady I spoke with at Good Night Ben said she feels the still reclined position is just as comfortable as a gliding recline. I guess I need to try out some of each, and decide which is more comfortable for me.

Melanie
12-03-2002, 01:06 PM
I think mine is a Shermag, but I never used the Boppy in it (too small like you said). I use pillows when nursing in the glider.

Mommy to Jonah

JMarie
12-03-2002, 01:47 PM
I don't have a problem gliding while I'm reclined - I have the Dutalier 11789 - and I'm actually more comfortable that way. I usually set it upright, though, before locking it. I find it's easier to lock the glider before getting out of it, and I am so happy I decided to get the glider with all the extra features. It's my favorite place to sit now!

JMarie
EDD 2/23/03
Aidan Christopher

LisaS
12-03-2002, 03:39 PM
While a more basic model will suffice, the recline on the Dutalier is fantastic and well worth the extra $. I have the Dutalier 11789 and my husband (who uses it as his TV chair in the living room...) calls it the best $600 ever spent :-) I have never had a problem gliding while reclined. He actually used the ottoman as a separate rocking chair for DD...he put the nursing pillow on the ottoman and rested her inside it and rocked the ottoman while he rocked in the chair...it was very cute and it put her to sleep when she was teeny. Separately, we had the Boppy but didn't love it for nursing...found it very hard and not fitting so well...I used one of the large soft triangular shaped ones (I don't know the brand but can find out) and preferred that). The Boppy was great when DD was learning to sit up. Good luck!

Andrea S
12-03-2002, 04:04 PM
I would like to second the my brest friend pillow. We had problems nursing in the beginning and that pillow helped with positioning. Iuse it with my Dutalier glider. We have the one that relines.
Andrea &
Andrew 8/14/02

CelinaC
12-03-2002, 04:40 PM
I stopped using my Boppy with my Dutailier because I thought it was too small and too difficult to position right.

As for the multiposition/recline, mine has neither. The saleswoman tried to get me to buy one with a locking feature (so you can get up with baby in your arms without the whole thing rocking backwards), which I passed on, and still feel I would not have needed - I have no problem getting up even with baby in my arms. I have, however, wished on many occassions (especially during the innumerable nighttime feedings), that I had gotten the recline. I find myself dozing off sometimes while baby nurses, and it would be so nice to recline - I could then just nap till he's done...

HTH,

Celina
mom to Gabriel 7/20/02

ecarley
12-07-2002, 10:52 PM
The Dutailier is indeed too narrow to use with the Boppy pillow, but that never bothered me. The Boppy stayed in the family room to use on the couch, and I kept a twin size pillow next to the glider to use in the nursery. It worked out just fine for us.

Our glider has neither the recline nor locking. I've never felt the need to recline while sitting in it... it's so darn comfy that you don't need to extra luxury of reclining too! And you learn to get up carefully to keep your balance and keep the baby asleep. It's just one more thing you get adept at.

And FYI, we passed on the ottoman, and I've never missed it. I got a "nursing stool" made by Medela (a couple other companies have them too) and it positions you just right to be comfortable in the rocker. I have a friend who has an ottoman, but she sat in my chair with the stool and decided she wants one for kid #3. The stools run about $30, which is a big savings over buying an ottoman!

One last thing... our rocker is now in the living room and a very popular place to sit. It will be a piece of furniture that will last us a long time!

luvbeinmama
12-09-2002, 02:04 AM
I got my glider from a friend, so I have no idea who made it. BUT, I don't think a boppy would fit. You MAY find that you don't even need a nursing pillow at all!! The only time I've ever used one was once or twice with DD while I was online and sitting in a cheap office chair (found she has the same sensitivity to milk as DS and have switched to soy formula now). Otherwise, I just latched them on and let their body go at a slightly downward angle across my tummy. This worked for me and DS's legs would go through and around the arm of the glider when he got bigger. Of course, I never had any problems breast feeding and both kids were pretty much pros from the start. I guess I just thought the pillow was too much trouble to use, and I didn't need it anyway. They both nursed just fine without it.

shall85296
12-17-2002, 02:37 AM
I found that the boppy was too big to use w/my Dutalier, but I've found that the armrests are at just the right height to rest his head on while nursing.
Also- an idea on the ottoman ( which I didn't spring for).
I found a small stool @ TJ Maxx that is upholstered and just the right height to be considered a "nursing stool". I think it was $13.99 - which was the perfect price. I see them there all of the time, and they are usually in cute fabrics.
Good luck.