PDA

View Full Version : Stuffed Rocker

Caroline99
12-17-2002, 08:36 PM
I found this style of rocker at several baby furniture stores and really like it:

[img src="http://a293.g.akamai.net/7/293/5910/0036/ww1.potterybarnkids.com/pkecimgs/pk_products_v12/F/J/p43219-0qm.jpg"]

The one shown is by Pottery Barn Kids and retails for close to $700, which I think is ridiculous. Hearth & Plow also carries a similar style (without the slipcover) for $400, and I've seen some Shermag ones at BRU as well. I'm wondering if anyone else has gotten one of these and if the $400 H&P one is the best price. I've been scouring my local furniture stores and haven't found anything similar. I can't be the only one who is interested in this style rather than the Dutailer rocker-glider ones. Any tips?

SASM
12-18-2002, 12:00 AM
I have sat in the one at Pottery Barn and it was NOT very comfortable for two women who are ~5"6" - I was ~23 weeks pregnant and my girlfriend was in the early 1st trimester. My husband also sat in it and was not comfortable. It just doesn't seem to support well - feels to "short" all around. I felt like a giant in it.

I can tell you that the one at Restoration Hardware ("Deserva") is extremely comfortable (when I worked there and the floor model was sold off the floor there were people literally fighting for it!!)!! It is made by Mitchell Gold - a phenomenal furniture manufacturer. Resto really stands behind their product, too. The only problem is that the slipcover options are limited.

If you have an Eddie Bauer Home store near you, you should also check them out. They have two rockers - one of which is a swivel. Very comfortable as well.

Resto has my vote :-)

Good luck with the decision. HTH!! :-)

Sharyn
EDD #1 01.21.03

bnme
12-19-2002, 09:16 AM
Here's one I saw at JCPenney

http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/Products.asp?DeptID=327&CatID=8138&CatTyp=DEP&ItemTyp=G&GrpTyp=STY&ItemID=05d488b&ProdSeq=6&OffSet=6&ProdCount=6&Cat=rocker-ottoman&Dep=children's&PCat=furniture&PCatID=4242&RefPage=ProductList&Sale=&NumMatches=6&RecPtr=&SearchIn=0&ShowMenu=&TTYP=&ShopBy=0&PersistenceID=&RecordID=&SearchString=

Caroline99
12-19-2002, 09:39 PM
Yikes! The Resto one is $850. I wasn't planning to pay the $699 Pottery Barn wants... I did find one at Plow & Hearth that is $400, although it doesn't have the slipcover style.

I'm surprised that you found the Pottery Barn one "short" -- it's actually taller than the RH one (although an inch more shallow and 3 inches narrower). The P&H rocker is the same width as the PB one, but beats both RH and PB on depth and height.

muskiesusan
12-19-2002, 10:09 PM
I also loved the look of this rocker and wanted it instead of a glider. I don't know if you have a Sofa Express near you, but they have several styles similar to this one. I got mine for $350 I think, I know it wasn't over $400. I find it very comfortable, and with my nursing stool, it was perfect for feedings!

HTH
Susan

kathsmom
12-22-2002, 08:32 PM
Have you tried out the Shermag rocker at BRU? I saw one the other night when I was in the BRU store and thought of you when I saw it. I sat in it and did not find it very comfortable. It seemed a lot harder to rock than the glider rockers. I have large hips and it seemed kind of small width wise to me.

One of the other posters - Alexa, screen name akc- had a glider stuffed rocker made. I think she ordered it from Bellini and it was a Dutalier. She had her own fabric put on it. I don't know how much that cost. You can see it under http://www.windsorpeak.com/dcforum/DCForumlD2/303.html

Look at post #9 and click on the second attachement.

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and Andrew (9/23/02)

jenperks
12-30-2002, 04:33 PM
I'm not fond of the Dulalier rocker-glider look and have been looking for an upholstered rocker/glider, as well. I have seen some on the crate and barrel website, but they are in the $900+ range. The other day, I was at USA Baby and saw one that was comfortable, seemed fairly well made and was on sale for under $400 (I want to say it was $369). It was made by Best Chairs. Here is a link to the manufacturer's website. It is under their "storytime chairs" link. It's called the "swivel glider." The one pictured on their site is in a blue floral. There are different fabric choices, though.

http://www.bestchairs.com

The only drawback is it's not slipcovered. Any baby mess that doesn't come up is yours to stay. I figured if I end up getting this one, I'll try to make a slipcover for it or throw a blanket over it (or just get it reupholstered when I'm done having kids).

Hope this helps.

Jen