PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!! Who makes the TALLEST cribs out there? r/o

walda
12-28-2002, 05:59 PM
My son is 20 months old, and 37.5 inches tall. He is trying to dive headfirst out of his crib. The top of the guardrail on his crib comes a little above his waist, so he is very close to getting out. He is still not talking yet, and we do not feel comfortable putting him in a Toddler bed or mattress on the floor yet. We still think he needs to be in a crib for another year. We are terrified of the thought of him running around his room unsupervised during naptime/bedtime. I feel like he would be unsafe, trying to open his diaper genie, getting into trouble.

We do not mind buying a second crib. We plan to sell the first one, and keep the second crib should we decide to have another child in the future. The crib we are currently using is an Asian crib, that is made by Angel Line. It is 47.25 inches tall (that is the size of the guardrail to the floor. We are looking for a crib that is at least 6-12 inches higher than that... Does such a thing exist?

Please help us, we need advice badly! We live in the Tampa area, if anyone can suggest any stores/resources/online places!

Thank you!

Caroline99
12-28-2002, 06:32 PM
I know that there are some really tall cribs out there, such as the four-poster models, etc., but I can't really help you with that. Have you thought about getting some of those guardrails that go on the side of toddler beds or bunkbeds and just attaching them to the sides of the crib?

walda
12-28-2002, 06:35 PM
Hmmm... I never thought of that. Do you know who makes guardrails for toddler beds (not twin size?

Thanks for you help!

Alda :)

kathsmom
12-30-2002, 01:39 AM
Alda,

Have you thought of using a crib tent? My niece LOVED to climb out of her crib and my brother and his wife bought a crib tent to put over the bed and have had no trouble with her climing out since. I am not sure where you can purchase one of these, but they probably got theirs at BRU or Wal-Mart (they live in a small town and don't have a lot of baby stores to choose from!). One Step Ahead, Right Start, babycenter.com, etc. might sell them, so you may want to check out those web sites or some other baby stores on the web.

HTH and good luck!

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and Andrew (9/23/02)

MartiesMom2B
12-30-2002, 05:54 PM
I've seen crib tents for sale at Baby Depot. Those are located in Burlington Coat Factory. Good Luck!

walda
01-01-2003, 01:39 PM
We're going to go and look at those tomorrow. BTW, Is it possible for the baby to remove the crib tent though? I can imagine my son working on removing the velcro easily...

Thanks for the help!!

LailaCa
01-01-2003, 07:17 PM
At 20 months would you not consider a toddler bed with guardrails? Seems like the time to wean from a crib anyway.

We bought a beautiful Pali crib...and at almost 6 months my son has yet to use it. I am a big fan of Dr. William Sears and have been doing bed sharing. It has worked so well. My big regret now is the $500 spent on this crib...although it will convert to a toddler crib.

kathsmom
01-01-2003, 10:14 PM
Alda,

I am not sure how the crib tent secures to the crib - I have never noticed when I have been to my brother's house. I know that they haven't had any problems with my niece removing the crib tent. Good luck on finding something for your little one! I know how trying it can be! DD started throwing herself out of her crib when she was 18 months old and we had just moved to our current home. I ended up making the crib into a daybed and putting a twin mattress on the floor next to the crib/daybed in case she fell out of the bed. We then just let her start sleeping on a twin mattress on the floor. She then progressed to our old queen size bed when we got a king size bed.

HTH! Good luck!

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and Andrew (9/23/02)

DorothyA1
01-16-2003, 07:08 PM
I do not have an answer for you but you raised a concern for me. Both my husband and I are really tall. I am 6'2" and he is 6'8". I am sure that we will have this problem with our child.

I do have a question for you, what did you do for a rocker, assuming that one of you is tall?

walda
01-16-2003, 11:06 PM
Hi there!

BTW, we decided to make the transition to toddler bed afterall; Big Boy Calvin is finally getting used to his new bed!

As for a rocker; we decided to skip it. I was happiest in a really tall, supportive sofa chair that we already had. I kind of wished we had gotten a rocker though! No suggestions on tall ones, but, believe me, I know where you're coming from!

Good luck!!

Alda :)

stillplayswithbarbies
01-16-2003, 11:27 PM
I am 6' tall and so is hubby. We got the Dutalier model 17350. It was the only one tall enough for us.

...Karen
Mom to Jake age 12 and expecting Logan Elizabeth or Logan Bartholomew, EDD March 21

tabytha77
01-17-2003, 10:11 AM
You don't want the tallest crib, because then if he topples out, he has even farther to fall! If he is starting to crawl out, you should remove the side (if it is removable) to allow him to get out. The reason he is trying to climb over is of course because he wants to get out. :)

If you are not comfortable with that, then I would go with a crib tent. There are plenty of models available.