PDA

View Full Version : Changing table alternatives, or should I get it?

julienbaby
01-03-2003, 04:34 PM
From reading the book, they say it's a waste of money to get a changing table. I agree for the most part, but...you knew there was a "but" didn't you? My husband has bad knees so kneeling on the floor to change the baby's diaper won't happen. I looked at putting a changing pad on top of a low bookcase, but the bookcases are too narrow. We aren't going to get a dresser because the baby's room has two closets with organizer shelves. And the shelves won't work to change the baby on. So, any ideas...preferably ideas that cost less than $200, since that is what the darn changing table costs. Or should I just get the changing table, since we are planning to have one more after this baby?
Julie

nitaghei
01-03-2003, 04:45 PM
Why not look for a used changing table? I've seen them for less than $75 at a consignment store(and this is in the Washington DC area). It might not match your crib - but you won't need it for very long.

Nita
expecting our first 01/14/03

JMarie
01-03-2003, 06:22 PM
We bought a very sturdy wood changing table at Sam's Club for around $95.00. It is a pecan color, but we sanded it down and painted it white to match our nursery furniture. The same table is now $58.00 or so at Sam's, so if you have one nearby and have a membership (or know someone who has one) I highly recommend checking it out. We did have a custom changing pad made for about $60 (it's a Rumble Tuff pad and it came with two covers) and bought different baskets at IKEA, but it was still MUCH less expensive than the PBK one I'd wanted. HTH!

JMarie
EDD 2/23/03
Aidan Christopher

Momof1Golden1Lab
01-03-2003, 07:23 PM
I'm in a similar boat, except I have a bad back. Even changes on the bed bother me (the leaning over). We found a white changing table with a single drawer and two shelves, including the pad, for about $125 shipped. It is by Sorelle.

This is just a case where the Fields' advice is not one-size-fits-all. I think that you'd be happier if you just buy an inexpensive table that will last through your children - it will seem like a small price to pay!

BethG
01-03-2003, 08:17 PM
Personally, I love my changing tables and wouldn't be without them. I have a "regular" changing table in the nursery upstairs. It is made by Bonavita and it was $119 at BuyBuyBaby. I also use the changing table on the PackNPlay as my downstairs changing table. I like them both.

HTH,

KathyO
01-03-2003, 08:57 PM
Consider buying something you know you'll need later, and using it for a changing table -- like a desk (new or second-hand) that Junior will be doing homework at someday. The drawers can hold supplies, and the diaper pail goes in the knee-hole.

We're using my grandmother's old desk (not an antique, just a beat-up old desk) and have found it to be just the right height. Got one of those foam pads to go on top, and put a rubber sticky mat under it to prevent slippage. The desk is nice and solid no matter how much DD squirms, and I don't have to worry about her pulling it over.

HTH!

Cheers,

KathyO

C99
01-04-2003, 01:00 AM
IKEA has a few changing table models (one of which bolts into the wall, which I think is a good way of saving floor space) for about $60-100. I was going to get one, but then my dresser is the perfect height to add one of those puffy changing table pads and use.

Caroline

newbelly2002
01-04-2003, 06:19 AM
I was going to suggest Ikea, but was beaten to the punch!

Because we were only in our house for 6 weeks before moving, I too didn't want to buy a special changing table. But DH has a bad back so the floor was our as well. I ended up using my old dresser (bought 2nd hand, unfinished for about 35 dollars), finishing it a beautiful wood color, adding a few drawer pulls and a changing mattress to the top. The mattress can come off later and the dresser can either stay in the nursery (when we move back in a few years) or go into a hallway/bedroom etc. Perhaps you could buy an unfinshed desk/table/bureau as a few people suggested and consider putting it elsewhere later. To be fair, I'm no stickler for making sure everything in the nursery matches, but it seems like a good neutral (a.k.a interchagnable) piece can go a long way.

Paula

cara1
01-05-2003, 09:23 PM
I hear what you're saying completely. The cheaper changing tables that are just changing tables seem to flimsy to me (and I'm sure DS could tip them at this point while he's crawling around if we had one). I didn't want to shell out $500 for a changing table/dresser combo. We don't have all the closet space you have, so we did need to buy a dresser. We just plunked the changing pad on top of it. My MIL has a changing pad on top of a desk, and that has worked well for her. Whatever you decide, you will probably want some sort of stackable shelf system next to your changing area for diapers, wipes, desitin or whatever.

kathsmom
01-05-2003, 10:05 PM
Julie,

We did not buy a changing table when we had DD. We thought it would be a waste of money. We just used the bed, crib, etc. However, when we were expecting DS, I told DH that we were definitely buying something to change him on. The reason that we wanted to get a table is to save our backs. When we babysit for friends' kids, it really hurts my back to change the babies on the bed, and my knees aren't that great! We looked for dressers, etc., but everything was too low/high/narrow. We went to a local baby shop to test strollers, and decided to look at their changing tables. We found one in a natural finish, and asked if they had it in white to match our crib. They said it only came in natural, and all they had left was the floor model. They gave us a discount and we bought it, even though it did not match our crib. We paid about $140 for it. It has 2 shelves and a drawer. You may want to check and see if any place has a floor model you could buy at a discount. Just check it out carefully at the store to see if it seems sturdy and safe.

I would go ahead and buy one, especially if you plan on having another baby. You can always re-use the table. A friend of mine uses hers in her playroom to hold baskets/bins with toys and books in them.

HTH! Good luck!

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and Andrew (9/23/02)

julienbaby
01-05-2003, 11:31 PM
Thanks all for the great advice! I will look at the cost of the desk option, it would make me feel good to buy something that would have the availability to be useful for a longer period of time than a standard changing table. However, since so many of you have a changing table and found it important to have, despite the book's recommendations...I may just get one if the desk option doesn't work. Again, thank you for helping me out!

stillplayswithbarbies
01-06-2003, 11:55 PM
I just bought something called a Rail Rider at Baby Depot for $25. It is a changing table that straddles the crib rails, and folds out of the way to hang from one rail when you are not using it.

Does anyone have this? Does it work okay or did I waste my money?

Mu husband and I are both tall, and I don't think the changing table on the pack n play will work well for us. I didn't want a separate changing table since there isn't much room in the nursery and I'd rather have the rocker in there.

...Karen
EDD March 21 with baby #2, but baby #1 was 12 years ago

jubilee
01-07-2003, 11:12 AM
I just love the white changing table you have... and it's not a traditional changing table style, so I can see it would get lots of future use! I will check out our local unfinished furniture stores and hope I can find one like that. Very cute, and I can see that it would be easy to customize it to the nursery decor. Thanks for the suggestion! (Oh, and I did look into IKEA, and the nearest one is in Seattle, WA and that's a 3-4 hour drive. So, not an option I can pursue.)

MinnieMouse
01-07-2003, 11:17 AM
We got a RumbleTuff hi/lo dresser that matched dd's Childcraft convertible crib....and love it. It cost less than the Childcraft one and will last until dd goes to college. Originally we thought that would be fine upstairs and downstairs, where we spend most of our time, we would just change her on the floor or couch...that lasted all of 6wks! Our backs couldn't hack it...and neither dh or I are all that tall.

I went to a local consignment shop and grabbed a jenny lind style changing table...very simple with two open shelves underneath....for $25! It's been a livesaver. It not only gives us a great place to change dd during the day, but the shelves are awesome for all her stuff. All the diaper bags and extra diapers/wipes are stored there. Easy access to grab a bag on the way out..and to restock it.

I don't think I would ever go without a changing table...it's just too useful to forgo.

HTH

Christine

akc
01-07-2003, 03:46 PM
Hi Julie -

I'm glad you like it. I really love it. I so badly wanted a more versatile piece of furniture that I was looking at regular Pottery Barn or other "buffet-like" pieces of furniture. Anyway, it has been really functional for us. The other thing I wanted to tell you is that the door side has the option for shelves (removable) or a pole for hanging things. We've used the little pole and it is perfect for the few hanging dresses or jumpers Maeve has right now. It just seemed so ridiculous to use a real closet for so few hanging things! I'm not sure that will be as important for you since you are having a baby boy - girls seem to accumulate more hanging things. But, just thought I'd let you know.

We painted it to match her crib (is actually a cream finish - antique white by Legacy) by taking a piece of her crib in to Home Depot and they color matched it. Hubby painted it (we used oil paint b/c it is supposed to last longer on furniture) and I was 7-8 months by that point, so no being near oil paint for me! I then distressed it a little w/sandpaper b/c her crib paint is antiqued and I did the little knobs. Considered different colors but she has a carousel mural along one side of her wall, so I thought the colors might be too much. Also painted the ceiling fan that color green (it's the color of the poles on the carousel.) It is really fun to customize it. And, when it's finished and you use it EVERYDAY, you feel happy about it!

Also, I think that it is a standard unfinished furniture company that made it. I'll try to dig out my receipt. But if it was Mastercraft, for example - I don't think that's right - if an unfinished furniture store carries anything by them, they can order it for you. So, if they say they don't have one, ask them if they have a brand they carry that may have one in their catalog (or if they know of a company that makes one).

I'll try to find my info - I was so organized BEFORE the baby was born. Had this binder that was organized by category - furniture, fabric, toys, registry, etc. Boy, those were the days! :)

Good luck!

Alexa

Melanie
01-07-2003, 07:58 PM
I'm not sure why they said they are a waste, unless they're really short people! I got a cheapie jenny lind one from BRU ($80 maybe). Whenever we change Ds while visiting, on a bed or something, my back immediately hurts. I didn't want the dresser style b/c we don't need a dresser, however now that Ds is mobile I can't store much on the shelves below b/c he gets into everything!

Mommy to Jonah

akc
08-25-2003, 11:01 PM
Hi -

Don't know if you decided one one yet, but we were struggling with the same thing (esp since we are both tall and changing on the bed - even the pack n' play was too low for us). I would probably qualify myself as a changing table groupie - I couldn't live without them (yes, two...you'll see!) and I highly recommend one.

After lots of searching, I actually got an unfinished wood one at an unfinished furniture store. It was less about $150 for a beautiful wood changing table with one door and four drawers - it is fairly close to a Pottery Barn Kids one that was $500! We have the rumble tuff pad on top and love, love, love it!

It can be used for toy storage or even clothes later. And, the price was right. To be totally honest, I think the Fields's are right to tell people to save money, but I could not live without our changing table. First, your baby is on it many, many times a day when they are a newborn. Plus, I think it's good to have a routine and a comfortable place that she is familiar with. I also strongly recommend door and/or drawers if it is in the nursery. You can always use more storage (especially hidden). We've got baskets too, but I love keeping stuff away.

And, to top that off, we actually have a SECOND changing table on our second floor (We live in a 100-year old 3 story house - LOTS of stairs). That one we got on Ebay for $120 and I really like it. This is virtually identical to the Pottery Barn Classic table. This one is open and we use PBK baskets and liners on it. I love this one too!

We get strange looks when we tell people this, but my daughter flashed her first big, huge smile when on the changing table. She has a curious george pull toy that was above her and it was (other than her crib) probably the place she had seen the most. We just looked down, pulled curious george, and she lit right up! So, that changing table is going to be forever recorded in her baby book!

I attached a picture of both of the changing tables. We painted the unfinished one to match the color of her crib. I think it is a standard make, so you could call around to unfinished stores and ask if they have one. It's cream with little green handles. The eBay one is the wood one (included two views, so you can see the size).

Good luck -

Alexa