PDA

View Full Version : Diaper area setup

etwahl
01-06-2003, 08:46 PM
Looking for suggestions as to how to set up the diapering area etc. We have a combo dresser with changing pad on top.

1. Should we get a diaper organizer system to put on floor beside dresser?

2. How about a wipes warmer?

3. What all should I have handy in this area and how do I keep it all organized?

4. In addition to our Rumble Tuff changing pad (and 2 terry cloth covers) should we get some sort of pad to put on top to minimize washing? I'm a bit confused about what most people do here.

Thanks again for the feedback on my many questions right now.

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

blnony
01-06-2003, 09:02 PM
We also have a dresser/changer combo and the Rumble Tuff pad. I only have two terry covers and thats been fine. I put a waterproof lap pad over the cover just in case, and its come in handy several times.
I use the top drawer, (it has six, three on each side)for diapers, wipe refills, and various other items. On top, I have a wipes warmer, I didn't at first, (I didn't think it was necessary but after several unpleasant changes due to cold wipes, I was searching in Target three weeks after baby's arrival and she still hates cold wipes when we are on the go)also we have a small rubbermaid organizer with alcohol (my baby can't get into stuff yet...we will move it when she can!)diaper cream, cotton wipes, Q tips, hand sanitizer, lotion, and her grooming kit. I don't have anything but the diaper champ next to the dresser.
The pad is great. DD loves to be on it. Sometimes when she is really fussy she will lay on there and she just babbles away.
Good luck-

Momof3Labs
01-06-2003, 09:17 PM
Tammy,

Try this thread for more tips...

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dcforum/DCForumID1/514.html

Lori & Colin 9/28/02

joodyjr
01-06-2003, 11:13 PM
I hang one of those clear plastic diaper depots on the side of our dresser combo. Neither child seems to care it only cost me about $10! LOL. I put the wipe warmer (essential!) on it and diaper rash creams, it has a place to put diapers.. etc. It's pretty handy. I've got a toddler still in disposables and an infant in cloth so the entire dresser is full of diapers.

For now, I've just got all their clothes in the closet on a closet organizer system.

I always put a quilted lap pad over the terry cover. As soon as I change a diaper w/out it... I have to end up taking the whole cover off and washing! Never fails! I get them at Babies R Us and Toys R Us.. I can't remember the name, but they are a quilted pad, come in blue, pink and green. They're pretty thick, and waterproof.

If you have a boy and plan to circumcise, you'll want vaseline, small gauze squares and tissues (to cover the missile launcher during diaper changes). I put cornstarch powder on my son so I have that on the table too. I also keep lotion up there too. My table top is longer than the changing pad so I have enough room at the end of the pad for the powder and lotion. I keep nail clippers and diaper rash cream in the diaper depot. All I need to change DD diaper is a diaper. She gets cloth wipes that I keep in a basket on the bathroom sink.

In the weeks after you have the baby , you'll probably organize and re-organize everything 20 times. Eventually you'll get something resembling a system and you'll giggle when you think back to the time when you were preparing for baby. You can never be 100% prepared, try as we may!

KathyO
01-06-2003, 11:19 PM
Consider getting a set of hooks/pegs (there are lots of cute ones out there!) to hang on the wall nearby if possible, as high as you can comfortably reach to keep them away from grabby baby hands. They're great for towels, sleepers, not-yet-dirty-enough-to-launder outfits, etc.

Best,

KathyO

MinnieMouse
01-07-2003, 11:23 AM
We don't have anything on top of our Rumbletuff dresser other than the wipes. The diapers and creams go in the small top drawer and fit just great.

For a while we tried to use the diaper stacker...we hung it on the crib and it worked out okay..the crib is behind me as I stand in front of the dresser. BUT, once dd was pulling up in her crib we had to put it away. I tried hanging it on the dresser...but it was too clunky and stuck out...plus as the diapers got bigger less fit into it. Now we just store the majority of her diapers in the cabinet under the small drawer and replenish when necessary.

I totally don't agree about the necessity of a wipe warmer. Dd never needed it and doesn't miss it. Plus, they don't have one at day care either.

HTH
Christine

egoldber
01-07-2003, 11:34 AM
I would just use the top drawer of the dresser as your organizer area. I have never had a wipes warmer and never missed it. You need to have handy: diapers, wipes, diaper rash cream, rectal thermometer and lubricant, baby lotion. I also keep a supply of infant tylenol and mylicon drops in my table.

I may be the only person in the world that does this, but I have never used a cover on the pad on my changing table. It is a nice smooth vinyl and it wipes clean very easily. It has never struck me as being cold and Sarah has never complained. I figure the one on my PacknPlay doesn't have one, so why should the one upstairs? For me it's one less thing to wash.

When she was a newborn, I did use some cloths underneath her "just in case", but I stopped doing that after a few weeks. This may depend on your baby, but Sarah has only has one or two chainging tbale 'accidents" that I recall. Burp cloths would work fine for this purpose. If you have a boy, you should keep a supply of cloths handy to put over him to prevent being sprayed. :)

HTH,

Andrea S
01-07-2003, 01:24 PM
I also have a combo. It is the Bonavita one with the small drawer on top which I use for diapers then I have the pottery barn kids baskets that hang on the wall for extras. One basket holds the wipes, one has vaseline, lotion, diaper cream, stain removal stuff, q-tips then off to the other side I have 2 more with rattles and burp clothes (cloth diapers) in them. I never got a wipe warmer and DS does not mind cold wipes. I warm them up in my hand first if they are really cold. The pampers sensitive wipes do not seem to get as cold as the regulars. If you are interested in the baskets I can look up and get them name for you just let me know.

Andrea & Andrew 8/14/2002

etwahl
01-07-2003, 01:35 PM
I'm interested in what you mean by hanging the baskets from the wall? I love baskets, but was thinking I didn't know where to put them. The wall idea sounds interesting (if we have the room).

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

Andrea S
01-07-2003, 01:44 PM
They are called sabrina hanging baskets. We hung them with big hooks almost like the ones you would hang cups from. They are alittle bigger then the box of wipes -- the basket that holds the wipes could not fit anything else. This was my solution to not being able to have the changing table with all of the baskets and liners on the shelves below.

If this link does not work they are under storage solutions on the potterybarn kids website.

http://ww2.potterybarnkids.com/cat/pip.cfm?age=BABY&gnd=A&pg=1&pcat=STRBSK&lst=dSTRBSK-ABABY&grp=15583&itm=g15583&src=shpaBABY%7CcSTRBSK%7Cp1%2FshpaBABY%7CcSTR%7Cp1

Andrea & Andrew 8/14/2002