PDA

View Full Version : glidder vs rocker

jamierush
01-10-2003, 05:08 PM
I have looked through several pages and just wanted to put this out there...

I am looking to find a glidder that will fit a 6'4" man and 5'10" me. I kinda want to be able to rest my head back on the glidder..

Plus some of those glidder seem to be narrower in the seat than others. Is it reasonable to ask what is the style # of teh largets dutailier glidder that they have?

also, any thoughts on the functionality of a LazyBoy rocker recliner instead?

thanks

stillplayswithbarbies
01-10-2003, 06:21 PM
I am 6'0" and my husband is 6'1". The only one we have found that we can lay our heads back on is the 17350 model.

You could find out what others have the same dimensions as that and get an idea of whether it would work. When I called www.babycatalog.com they were able to look up the dimensions of any model for me, even ones that are not on their website.

The 11789 that seems so popular just was not tall enough for us.

As for seat width . . . I weighed 230 pounds before I got pregnant and the seat seems plenty wide for me. (I don't mind telling my weight because I used to weigh 300 LOL) In fact I didn't notice any of the seats being too narrow, and I have sat in about a dozen different models.

I'm going tonight to look at the fabric in person and choose one and then finally order mine tomorrow.

...Karen
EDD March 21

shrimp
01-14-2003, 03:59 PM
Hi

An alternative to the Dutailer is the Little Castle.
They do a really nice swivel glider - totally upholstered.
I'm 5 10" and DH is 6 2" and we can both rest our heads on the back.
We ordered the Chateau Style (found the Royal & Regal were shorter and had an odd slope)
If you call Little Castle (littlecastleinc.com) they can tell you a local store and you can try them out)

Another option is Best chairs - they also have an uphosltered glider.

Good Luck

Dcclerk
01-14-2003, 05:46 PM
Shrimp-- you just found the name of the company I have been looking for. I had seen the Chateau Glider on Poshtots.com & Onefinebaby.com but couldn't find out the name of the maker. I wanted to try out the glider before buying it but didn't know how to. I just called the company and they gave me names of a few stores in my area that I could check out. Yippee!

Now, do you mind if I ask how much you paid? The two websites above have the chairs for $695 plus $250 for the ottomon (which is more than I want to spend). I'd like to shop the price around if I could to get the best deal.

Thanks for your help! :D

tabytha77
01-15-2003, 07:03 PM
Ethan Allen had the most comfortable glider we could find. It doesn't have a particularly high back though. It is sort of pricier than the ones at BRU, etc. But you can get it for under $1000 with the right fabrics. Husband is 6'4" 250# (not fat ;)) and works fine. Can't wait to get it!

Here is the link, but the fabric is ugly in this picture:
http://www.ethanallen.com/jsp/universalprod.jsp?itemID=207608

DorothyA1
01-16-2003, 06:42 PM
I have done some initial research on glider rockers. I am 6'2" and my husband is 6'8". We are both, shall we say, just over height and weight proportionate. The glider rockers that I have found will only hold 300 lbs. My husband and a three month old child from our family would be pushing the limits. The question isn't "Do you want a glider rocker." It is "Can you pick up an injured child and husband after the rocker falls apart beneath them.

I am having trouble finding a regular rocker that will accomodate our height. I have been told by several retailers to go to the Cracker Barrel Restaurant as they have nice, tall, old fashioned rockers for sale out front. Due to being on modified bed rest, I have not gone to try one out.

Please let all of us know if you are able to find a rocker that fits your needs and ours.

Dorothy

jamierush
01-17-2003, 11:08 AM
Hi all, thanks for your feedback, this is exhausting, I think when i got pregnamnt all of my decision making skills went out the window!! haha

Anyway, after looking around and sitting in a few ( the biggest understatement) glidders and rocker. I finally decided on the Dutailier 9759(w/recline and lock). It was tall enough to lean your head back on and was very comfortable in teh seat. I like the recline feature.

As far as teh wieght issue, the man is 6'4, about 250 so it wasn't an issue for us...

I was also looking at the 17000 series with metal base, they were wicked comfortable, but I just thought they were ugly.

I do have to say, that i was very disappointed with the fabic selection...most were not atractive at all.

I was able to find a graet deal on RockingChairoutlet.com where they could ship into the States, only because they had the model, finsh and fabric (well my #2 choice) on sale. I saved over $120 because they had them on sale and ready to ship...

Thanks again