PDA

View Full Version : Do I need larger mattress for a Simmons Shaker crib?

sqrtk
01-12-2003, 09:45 PM
Hi,

We've just bought a Simmons crib at Baby Depot. It was a floor model, maybe discontinued by Simmons, and even a salesperson couldn't tell us what model it is (though I have a suspicion it's a Shaker from the picture posted on Simmons site),

Now I'm looking at mattresses, and the consensus seems to be on Colgate I or III. However, I've read a "mattress warning" review for Matino II crib at Amazon.com customer review

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000059XRX/qid=1042420845/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/104-5220671-0583149?v=glance&s=baby

and wondered if this crib requires a special size mattress.

If it does, and we get a smaller mattress, could we maybe tuck in the bumper between the mattress and the crib -- is it safe?

Thanks in advance,
Victotria

tabytha77
01-16-2003, 04:26 PM
It would NOT be safe to try to fill the gap between the mattress and the side of the crib.

The measurements and warning listed at your link are pretty standard. Here are the Consumer Product Safety Commission requirements for cribs:

http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_00/16cfr1508_00.html

According to Colgate, most Colgate mattresses are approximately 27½" wide x 52" long.

You should be fine going with good name brands like Simmons and Colgate.

rezrey
01-17-2003, 11:48 PM
As far as the model you have, if you look at the headboard of the crib, there will be a sticker on it with a number on it. It's usually about 6-8 characters long. If you either call or go to the simmons website (simmonsjp.com) and tell them that number, they should be able to tell you the name of your crib. The Shaker collection actually refers to the style of case pieces in the picture.

As far as the mattresses go, all mattresses need to be a standard size according to government standards. There is a slight variance in them, but they all need to be about 27 1/2" X 52". My suggestion to you is when you buy your mattress, put it in your crib before you take the wrapping off to make sure it fits. It should be snug, with no more than 2 fingers fitting between the mattress and the slats in the crib. With a quality mattress, you shouldn't have any problems fitting it in a Simmons crib.

sqrtk
01-20-2003, 04:12 PM
Thanks a bunch. We've just received Colgate III mattress from Baby Universe and it fits in snuggly.

Cheers,
Victoria

ScrapNancy
01-21-2003, 10:06 PM
Simmons marketed the Geneva and Matino cribs for use with it's Shaker case pieces. Hope this helps!

Nancy
EDD 5/16/03