PDA

View Full Version : Should I use a cradle or bassinet?

sheerlee
05-25-2003, 10:25 AM
I am debating between a cradle ( soreelle dandolina glider with wheels $159) and a bassinet ( kidsline milenium bebe fina $149).
What is the weight limit / difference between the two? what makes more sense? what is safer? and do you need to move the cradle/bassinet from bedroom to livingroom or does it basically stay put in the bedroom? has any one had any one of these items and has an opinion? i need help!!!! One of my friends says she can keep her baby in the cradle longer than in the bassinet? can not decide? I ordered both and need to know which one to cancel? The baby bargain book, suggest to use the crib and offers no comparison charts or information regarding this topic.

Bridget in MD
06-03-2003, 01:26 PM
Hi,

I used both with my DD. When she was first born, I used the bassinet option on the pack n play, which i liked a lot. There was plenty of room and I didn't have to bend over to get her.

My mom ordered me a cradle and unfortunately I didn't get it until she was about 2 months old. She was only able to use it for about a month until I felt she was getting too big, her arms were sticking out of the slats and she constantly scooted to the top of the cradle. However, she was getting too long for the pack n play bassinet too. That's when I moved her to her regular crib.

In retrospect, I would have liked to have BOTH. I would have liked to have the pack n play downstairs so when she fell asleep I could lay her in there, and then use the cradle at night when we were upstairs.

I don't know if this helps you answer your question...

Bridget in MD =)

votre_ami03
06-03-2003, 04:43 PM
I don't know that there is much of a diff. We plan to use the cradle, just b/c it was a hand me down. Like Bridget, I would like to have a pack n'play w/a bassinet for naps & stuff.

From what some mom's have told me, there lil' ones did not like the bassinet.

Christy
EDD - 7/26
Boy! Nolan

jd11365
06-09-2003, 03:34 AM
Bassinet! Our friends gave us a cradle, which was beautiful. By the time we painted it, bought a new mattress for it, a bumper, and sheets, it cost more that a brand new bassinet which comes ready to use. The other thing is, it is a bear to move around the house. You think these things will stay put in one room, but the convenience of moving them is a plus, and you can't roll the cradle around like the light bassinet on wheels. We do love the look of our cradle...beautiful...but IMHO it's less practical.

MEGMATT
06-10-2003, 05:29 PM
I am a mothe of 2. my first is 2 and the second is 5 months. i don't know if you are planning on breastfeeding or not but you should look into the co-sleeper. It is designed like a pack'n play but one side comes down and it can attach to the bed. There is no bending over or reaching in for those midnight feedings. when you are done using it as a bassinet it becomes a pack'n play. I would recommend this over both the craddle and bassinett. Both have a short life span and low weight limit. The advantage over the regular pack'n play is that it does attach to your bed and the side comes down for easy access to the baby. It will also fit thru the door way without you're having to break it down.