PDA

View Full Version : Safety and firmness of Pack and Play bassinet -- DH is stressing!

chefjulie
05-25-2003, 11:14 AM
The Baby Bargains book says to get a firm mattress for the crib - but the pack and play bassinet is soft...

We were looking at the Pack'nPlay bassinet that we registered for (but haven't gotten) and DH is stressed about the fact that is is so soft and mushy compared to the very firm mattress that we are supposed to get for the crib.

Baby Bargains even says that the safest crib mattress is hard like a bus terminal bench...

Any opinions on how to calm DH down and let him know that the bassinet in the PnP is an ok place for baby to sleep for the first few months - I want baby in our room, but putting the crib in our room is not possible!

Thanks!
Julie

stillplayswithbarbies
05-25-2003, 09:48 PM
Maybe there are different types, but my pack n play seems pretty firm. The mattress is a board with a thin pad on it.

Another thing to consider is that the reason for a firm mattress is so that baby's face doesn't sink into it and cause baby to rebreathe the same air. If the baby is sleeping on his/her back, that can't happen anyway.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel 2/27/91
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

August Mom
05-25-2003, 10:23 PM
I'm not sure what would convince your DH, Julie because IMO the PNP pad is firm, not soft. I am not aware of any safety issues surrounding the PNP pad. The problem with PNPs of the past was the risk of collapse. And, the PNP pad fits snugly in the PNP. I never felt the slightest bit of concern about having DS in the PNP. I doubt that helps much. Sorry.

chefjulie
05-26-2003, 12:13 PM
It actually does help - so that he hears that there are other people who have been putting their precious little babies in the PnP bassinet! I think there was the issue of the bassinet not being snapped into the PnP tightly when we first walked up to it and just like everything else in baby stores, it has been handled a hundred or more times and has loosened.

I think he will be ok with it in the long run - especially after hearing about others who have used the PnP bassinet - and had their children survive! LOL

Thanks for posting!

August Mom
05-26-2003, 12:55 PM
Julie,

If it's more of an issue of the stability of the bassinet versus the firmness of the pad itself, you could always compromise and use the pad in the bottom of the PNP. My DS actually slept better in the bottom of the PNP than the bassinet area, but I think it was because it was bigger. Of course, it's easier to get the baby in and out of the bassinet. Good luck.

oliviasmom
01-27-2004, 08:12 PM
Has anyone tried using a portable crib mattress to firm up the bassinet pad of the pack n' play? I'm curious because I also think the bassinet pad is on the soft side.

lmintzer
01-27-2004, 10:46 PM
Huh? This is strange to me, since my thought was that our PNP mattress was as hard as a rock.

We bought ours over 2 years ago, but are they any different now?

Ours was the 5 way Pack and Play with a full-sized bassinet mattress.

Lisa
& Jack, 4/20/01
& Joshua, 11/16/03

amp
01-28-2004, 11:47 AM
Just wanted to give you (and your DH) further reassurance that we did not have any concerns over the firmness, or lack thereof, of our PNP mattress. DS slept safely and comfortably for many a nap or a trip in his.

hobey
01-28-2004, 12:05 PM
Julie,

DS won't sleep in his crib right now so he's sleeping in the PNP bassinet in our bedroom and he's been fine. I have it butted right up to my side of the bed in *co-sleeper* style so I can easily check on him.

I still wake up to check if he's OK and still breathing but I think that's just characteristic of all first time moms! LOL

Raquel
Nathan's Mom 12/19/03