PDA

View Full Version : crib bumpers- when to remove?

cdlamis
06-01-2003, 08:52 PM
Hi-
We removed our daughter's crib bumpers when she began to pull herself up since I heard there was a danger of babies being able to step on them and climb out. Is this really a problem? My daughter moves so much at night and hits her head on the crib sides and wakes up.
Thanks!
Daniella

Tracey1
06-02-2003, 11:03 AM
I think it depends on your baby. My daughter is almost 18 months old and she still has the bumpers in her crib. It's so cozy and comfy, I can't imagine taking them out - she makes no attempt to climb out of her crib at all, if she did I would certainly remove them right away.

HTH,

Mom of Three
06-05-2003, 07:45 AM
I had mine in until I read the Baby Whisperer by Tracy Hogg. In Britain bumpers are not allowed and are viewed as a safety hazard and potential SIDs contributor. She had never seen bumpers until she came to the US. Upon reading her book I immediately removed mine.

millerpjm
06-16-2003, 02:30 PM
My SIL is a doctor (though not a ped) and said I should remove the crib bumpers as soon as he started rolling over due to SIDS risk. It seems very bare in the crib and he inches up and ends up by the headboard, but I think it is ok so far. We ended up removing them @ 3 months. So did she. Just my 2 cents worth....

Jen

Proud mama of Thomas (4 1/2 months)

lovin2shop
06-18-2003, 12:00 PM
I don't have a great solution, but just wanted to say that I am going through the same thing now. My 9 mo. old just starting pulling up and when I got him out of the crib yesterday morning, he was standing on the bumper pad ready to take a dive out of the crib. So, I had to pull the pads out. Last night he woke up every half hour until I finally gave up and brought him to our bed. Argghh, it's only been a month since he started consistently sleeping through the night! I have friends that never had to pull the pads out, but after seeing him with arms and head over the top of the rail, I know that it is necessary now. If anyone has a safe suggestion for comforting them without the pads, I would love to hear it!