PDA

View Full Version : If I get an Arms Reach co-sleeper, do I need a PNP?

posterelle
06-04-2003, 09:20 AM
the website for Arms Reach makes it sound like they do the same things as a PNP -- fold up, can be used as playard -- is this true?

carolcarpenter
06-04-2003, 06:58 PM
Yes, I have an Arm's Reach and it is the same size, structure, and quality as any regular play yard I have seen. But it is a bit heavy. I think I've heard that the PNP may be easier to fold up and lighter to carry. In addition, some PNPs have that extra baby changing part that lies across the top--the Arm's Reach doesn't, but when it is set to be the co-sleeper, it's not too low to use it to change the baby. Not that I would use it for that--I would want to keep those two functions in separate areas.
Since an Arm's Reach runs between $150 and $175, and a PNP is typically about $100, I think it's a better deal to have my baby by my side for the first few months...
But I'm due in 2 weeks with my first, so take this opinion with a grain of salt!

MinnieMouse
06-06-2003, 09:30 AM
We used an Arms Reach cosleeper for our now 22mo. Yup it works just like a PNP when you drop the mattress to the bottom level. It's not the easiest thing in the world to setup and break down..but it gets the job done. We took it with us two different places for dd to sleep in when she was out of the cosleeper but not yet ready to be out and about on her own :-).

In reality we found VERY little use for a PNP at home though. After dd was done with it as a cosleeper at around 6mo (dd was tiny and we also had the newer model w/ more levels) we moved it to the living room as a PNP and only ever used it was for occasional naps. We broke it down and stored it at around 11 or 12mo to use the living room "real estate" for more toys :-).

HTH

Christine

toomanystrollers
06-07-2003, 01:44 PM
I just received mine and set it up for baby #3 due in 3 weeks. I also own a Graco pack 'n play. My initial impression of the co-sleeper: it's heavy, there are no casters on the bottom to move it from room to room, and it's harder to set up compared to my pnp. I intend to leave the co-sleeper attached to my bed as long as possible.

I'll be using my pnp downstairs to protect the wee little one from two labradors, my 4 yr. dd & her 2 yr. sidekick ds. Our pnp has come in handy for our summer camping trips as well.

If this is your first and you don't have any dogs romping through the house, you could probably get away with just the co-sleeper. But if you plan on moving the co-sleeper often, I would suggest a pnp as well.

Good luck,
Pam

MEGMATT
06-10-2003, 05:38 PM
It can be used as both and I have to disagree about its weight. it is actually lighter than a PNP. I have one and I love it. :)

I have two kids so let me give you the best advice. Know yourself. If you are unlikely to move something from one room to another now before the baby you won't do it after the baby comes. So if you have a 2 story house or know you will want to use it in other rooms i would suggest both.

toomanystrollers
06-12-2003, 06:35 PM
Curiosity got the best of me, my 1999 Graco PNP weighs 21 lbs. while my Arm's Reach Co-sleeper weighed in at 31 lbs. Both were in its carrying bag when weighed. I guess it may depend on the PNP model.
-Pam