PDA

View Full Version : Glider chair questions

cmdc
06-12-2003, 11:40 AM
Okay I have a couple of questions about glider chairs. Has anyone gotten one of those glider chairs from target.com?? They have two one for 199 and another for 299 and I hate to order something that I can't try first but they seem nice for a good price.

Second question is does anyone know where you can find one of those reclining gliders at a good price? I would love to have one but at babies r us they are about $600 for both chair and ottoman and can't spend that much. Thanks everyone!!

carolcarpenter
06-12-2003, 04:56 PM
I got the deluxe glider and ottoman from target.com. I had a coupon code to get 10 percent off (can't find it now, but if you do a google search for "target coupon codes", i know you will find several).
Plus, if belong to ebates.com, you can get a cash refund it you visit ebates first before purchasing. I got $11 back from this. So those two savings ended up basically paying for the tax and shipping.

My husband, who at first was kind of questioning the need for it, now loves sitting in it himself at the end of his workday!!
Features I like:
1. Cheap shipping (I think it was about $20)
2. Extremely easy to assemble. Turn the thing upside down, put in four screws and you're set.
3. Comfortable, substantial cushions. I read only one review of the $199 glider and they said the cushions were a bit thin, so I chose the deluxe.
4. Ottoman glides back and forth too!
5. Nice neutral colors go well in any room. (I got the natural color).

Features I don't like:
1. Comes with a strong chemical smell from the new upholstery. You will need to take off the cushions (they remove easily) and air them outside for a couple of days. I did this, and I have had the glider for 2 weeks and it still has a smell, though not as strong. I'm
chemically sensitive so I still need to put this by an open window for a while longer. However, I think it will go away.
2. Related to the above, you can't unzip the covers and wash them separately. Although cream colored cushions are nice fashionwise, the ottoman can get a bit dirty. I have considered sewing a cover just for the ottoman.

Overall, I'd recommend it.

sunny2003
06-12-2003, 04:59 PM
I agree with Carol, esp. on the smell part. One thing I did is spray Febreze on the chair and that seems to help though I also aired it out for days - btw, I got the deluxe in blue.and ebates is great for discounts.

littleme2
06-12-2003, 06:09 PM
Hi, I got the $199 glider - mainly because it was the only one that comes in cherry finish - to match my cherry crib.

I really like it but there is definitely a chemical odor which will go away with febreze.

Overall, I think it's worth it for the price.

Hope this helps.

nat12
06-12-2003, 06:59 PM
I have to say that I couldn't justify spending so much money on a glider and ottoman when Walmart sells the whole set for around $80! That's where I bought mine and I'll admit the cushions could be a little more plush. However, I've had it for about 2 months and sit in it everyday (it's in the living room right now) and it's very sturdy. One day I may recover and stuff the cushions but for now it's fine. Just another option.

Natalie
edd was June 2 and still no baby!

6799eye
06-16-2003, 12:42 PM
Baby Depot has the Shermag deluxe glider and ottoman for $270 and it comes in 3 choices of wood color.
This is the same glider that is sold at Target.com for $299 and you don't have to pay shipping if you buy it at BabyDepot.

Audreymom
06-16-2003, 04:32 PM
We got the $299 glider from target (and used a coupon from http://www.savings-center.com that gave 10% off (this paid for the shipping). The thing I like about target is they have a really good return policy. You can take it directly to the store for a full refund. I've heard bad things about baby depot's return policies (but this was a while ago - things may have changed).

We love the glider.

cmdc
06-17-2003, 11:22 AM
Thanks everyone for your post. I think I will go to Baby depot to check it out and if I like it I'll probably order from target using all the great coupon sights everyone was telling me about. Thanks everyone!!