PDA

View Full Version : Cribs with solid head and footboard (ends)?

new_mommy25
06-14-2003, 10:06 PM
I'm know BRU had a few cribs like that. I also may have seen some at Baby Depot.

akc
08-25-2003, 11:01 PM
Hi -

When I had my DD last year, there seemed to be more around. Now, I can't find many at all. They are perfectly safe (not any extra SIDS worries, we made sure) and look nice (I have some weird thing that I think all 4 sides look jail-like - it's odd, I know!) We really loved our Legacy crib (it was Country Cottage but plain on sides - I suspect the don't sell it anymore b/c they let Land of Nod sell it through their catalog!) - Maeve loved the closed ends b/c it was cozy. I also didn't know that I'd appreciate that she can only drop things out 2 sides (binkies, blankies, toys, etc!) I'd like to get another for a 2nd bebe, but I was thinking one that is more squared at the top. I'm not really crazy about the big dramatic, heavy wood ones (I know they are more like the Italian cribs, but I'm more traditional antiquey), so if anyone saw any solid-ended cribs while poking around, could you let me know? I attached a picture of my DD's -

Thanks!

californiamom
09-18-2003, 11:12 AM
I think that Sears sells the Legacy cottage crib you're talking about. Check out their website! I know they have some cribs in there with solid head/footboard.

Good luck!

KMommie
09-18-2003, 12:59 PM
I saw a few at USA Baby. We bought a "sleigh style" Bonavita there, I was also against the "jail-like" look of the four sides, glad to know it wasn't just me! :) BRU has 1 crib style with a solid head and footboard, I think it was made by Simmons.

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03

micheller
09-18-2003, 05:01 PM
I am also considering a crib with solid head and footboard but what do you do about the bumper if there are no slats to tie it to on the ends? I am not buying a bumper initially because of safety concerns but would like the option of adding one anyway.

Jen841
09-19-2003, 07:47 AM
We bought the white Jardine one at BRU ($199) and love it. We looked at many stores and this was the most solid one we found. We were shocked that the price was so low.

We did have bumpers in the crib, but removed them since Jude is moving around so much. Our bumpers were made by my Mom so we did not put ties on the ends. If you tie it nice and tight across the sides it was just fine.

masblooms
09-19-2003, 09:31 AM
We had a crib with solid ends. One thing I want to warn you about, if your little one is a climber, it is a LOT easier for them to climb up the solid sides of the crib, once they can reach the top of it with their hands. We had to take my son out of the crib very early, because he would hang on to the top, and "walk" his feet up the solid side of the crib, and I caught him twice about to tumble over.

colleen95
09-19-2003, 10:10 AM
The Simmons overstock page has a very pretty cherry crib w/ solid sides for $199.

http://www.simmonsjp.com/closeout/

It is also available in white, the Cottage Collection, through Sears.

Colleen
mama to be in Maryland

californiamom
09-19-2003, 06:13 PM
Hi!

I think I know which Jardine crib you're talking about. It's really pretty. Can you operate the drop side with one hand? Is it pretty smooth and quiet? Please let me know. I saw that crib at BRU and thougth it was really cute!

What did you get for your changing table? They don't have anything that matches this crib, do they?

Jen841
09-22-2003, 08:29 AM
I lowered the rail in the store and a home once or twice and don't recall a problem. We never lower it now, maybe when we lower the mattress we will.

For a changing table we used a piece of furniture from my parent. They great thing with that crib is you can really mix and match furniture since it is white.

This crib is solid and we have a ton of stuff stored under it. Grandma made a bed skirt that goes to the ground with the mattress in the highest position. I'll hem it up as we lower the mattress. Friends were concerned b/c it did not have a drawer. I can store much more without a drawer under it which is important in our small city condo.

Happy shopping! We are very happy with this purchase. The price was almost too good to be true! We had been at a very high end store, then we found this. We felt like we were stealing it from the store.

zuzu
09-23-2003, 08:02 AM
We got ours earlier this year at Buy Buy Baby. It is by Mother Hubbard's Cupboards and has solid ends. (I forgot the model name.) It is very solid, but isn't too bulky, and comes in a variety of finishes. I think it ran around $330 or $350. We've been happy with it.

Good luck!