PDA

View Full Version : Do I need all of these items??

babywhite
06-30-2003, 10:17 AM
Hi! I have just started trying to get pregnant. After looking at some magazines/books, I have a couple of questions. What are the following items used for and do I need ALL of them? Thanks in advance for your help. :)

Burp pads
Lap pads
Changing pads
Mattress pads
Crib liners (waterproof)
Sheet savers/protectors

Have a great day -- :)
R.W.

kathsmom
06-30-2003, 10:31 AM
Hi, R.W.!

First of all, welcome to the boards and good luck TTC!

I use the lap pads on the changing table to help keep the terry changing table cover cleaner a little longer. That way if DS has an "accident" while I am changing him, I just toss the lap pad in the dirty clothes and I don't have to change the cover. I don't use them on my lap. With DD, I used to use them as a changing pad when we went out, because they folded up so compactly. I like the ones that I got that are Carter's brand, because they don't get fuzzy/pill up like the quilted ones that have a duck pattern quilted on them (I cannot for the life of me remember the brand).

By burp pads, do you mean burp cloths? I have a ton of these! I have cloth diaper burp cloths and terry burp cloths.

I have 2 terry changing pad covers (I use the flat changing pad that came with the changing table - I didn't get the contoured kind, but I know a lot of people do). For diaper changes when we are out, I just use the changing pad that came with the diaper bag, or one of those paper changing mats that you can get by the box at BRU.

I have one mattress pad for the crib, but could probably use 1 more.

I didn't get any sheet protectors. I think if you have a baby who drools or spits up a lot, this can save you the headache of changing sheets.

I only have 2 sheets and that has been plenty for us.

I hope this helps some! And let us know if you have any more questions!

jubilee
06-30-2003, 10:58 AM
I use several burp cloths a day, so I have a dozen of the cheap cloth diapers for burps. I have a few lap pads, but never use them. As for mattress pads and crib liners, I don't have those because the baby mattress is already waterproof vinyl covered anyway.

August Mom
06-30-2003, 11:46 AM
Welcome to the boards, R.W. I'm glad you're joining us. Preparing for a baby is overwhelming, isn't it? Just wait until the baby actually arrives. :)

You definitely need burp clothes. I use them to wipe up spit-up, drool and food off of DS and things that he has touched. I also used to use them to cover the Boppy on the side where DS was nursing to catch any drool or spit-up. I have some cloth diapers that I use as burp clothes and also some actual burp clothes by Martha Stewart from K-Mart. I really like the Martha Stewart ones. They fit great in the diaper bag and wear well. I also have 2 Kushies burp clothes from Marshall Fields that I liked in the early days to put behind DS's head in the bouncer and swing so that if he spit up, it would be on the burp cloth. These are larger and contoured. We don't have any lap pads and haven't missed them, although it sounds like they might be nice, especially if you have a secondary changing station on a Pack 'n Play. We have one of the contoured changing pads for the top of the dresser and two terry covers. I either use the changing pad from my diaper bag or the paper disposable changing pads from BRU when we go out. We have both a plastic mattress cover that zips around the mattress and a regular padded mattress cover. In hindsight, I think that's overkill. We've only had 2 accidents in 10 months. I think one mattress pad would be fine. I love the Sheet Savers. I like the diamond quilted ones at Babies 'R Us better than the teddy bears. They are softer and wear better IMO. These were invaluable to us in the early weeks when DS spit up a lot. We had one under him whereever he was - on the sofa with us, in bed with us, in his bed, in the Pack 'n Play or wherever. We have 3 and I think that's a good number. Also sort of in this category of products are lightweight receiving blankets. You'll want 1 or 2 packages of those for the early weeks. They can also serve as burp cloths in a pinch.

Good luck trying to conceive.

stillplayswithbarbies
06-30-2003, 12:36 PM
>Burp pads
I use these to wipe up drool and spit up as well as to lay on the Boppy while breastfeeding to catch drips. I bought mine on eBay and from a WAHM site, but if you can sew they are just two layers of flannel serged together. I also use them under her head on the changing table to catch spit ups, and in the car seat. I have about 30 of them.

>Lap pads
Have one, never used it.

>Changing pads
have one, but I'm not sure it is necessary. It got poop on it last night so now I have to wash it, but without it the poop would have just wiped right off the vinyl pad.

>Mattress pads
don't have one, probably should. But she doesn't sleep in the crib.

>Crib liners (waterproof)
The mattress is waterproof.

>Sheet savers/protectors
have one but have never used it. I guess if she is ever sick it might be good to put on the crib. But for now she doesn't sleep in the crib so it isn't needed.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

houseof3boys
06-30-2003, 01:16 PM
I use everyone of them! I am sure once you get the swing of things you don't need them but as a new mommy I am prone to more accidents since I am not diaper changing expert. The lap pads (I assume you mean) are great for the changing table because that way you don't have to change the cover when there is an accident. I also use them in his crib since he is a drooler. The burp pads we use all the time on the boppy. I like the changing pad because I wouldn't want his soft little skin on the vinyl pad. I have the sheet savers in the crib but he hasn't really slept in his crib except for napping. I would certainly not want to go through changing sheets in the crib in the middle of the night if he had an accident though so I know we will utilize them.

Best of luck to you and welcome to the boards!

22tango
06-30-2003, 02:05 PM
Your mileage may vary on all of these items! You can always start with a few of the ones you're sure you'll want and get others if and when necessary.

Like Kathsmom, I used lap pads to save on washing the changing table cover and in my diaperbag for quick changes anywhere! I LOVE THEM! You can get by with 3-4!

I virtually NEVER used burp cloths since Karenna almost never spit up (maybe a teaspoon's worth once a week) or drooled much as a newborn. I had some bibs that were given to me (you may get some at your baby shower) for drool that I did end up using occasionally once she started teething. Often, however, I didn't care if she got a little damp at the neck, since I liked seeing the outfit instead of the silly bibs! One package of 10-12 cloth diapers would be a good start and if your baby is very drooly you can certainly get more. Of course, you can always use them to wipe up spills later when they are eating solids (I just keep a box of wetwipes handy.)

The rest of that list is pretty optional I'd say. We do have a changing pad (since we have a changing table) but many people just do it on a bed, floor, changer that comes with a PackNPlay, etc...

millerpjm
07-01-2003, 10:32 AM
I understand what you're going through... I am a fairly new mommy and have noticed there's sooooo much stuff out there!

Burp cloths are a must in my opinion. I actually use gerber's cloth diapers (birdseye weave) as burp rags - I found some with patterns in the fabric which hide spit up stains really well:)

I occasionally use lap pads on the changing table over the terry cover- but I don't use them on my lap. I would start with 1 pkg. and see if you use them. Or check garage sales. I have 3 changing pad covers, but 2 of them were 50 cents at a garage sale so I couldn't pass them up. I also put down a paper towel under DS's rear if a diaper is poopy so I don't need to use a new lap pad or change the cover!

I have a waterproof matress pad under the regular crib sheet. I don't use sheet protectors.

Hope this helps!

Jen

Proud mama to Thomas (4 1/2 months)

kkb99
07-07-2003, 08:22 PM
OK, I think I pretty much agree with all the other posters. One thing to note, is the lap pads and sheet savers that I have are pretty much the same thing, the lap pads are just smaller. My sheet savers are like the size of a baby laying, plus a few inches extra on all sides. I figure its in case their diaper leaks or the spit up, you've got both bases covered. Lap pads are maybe half that size, which makes them nice and compact, but if you were worried about spit up and diaper leak, you'd need 2 I guess.

Burp pads- I had a pack of cloth diapers (like 12 in a pack) for my first, and that was a good number. Then my second came along, a real spit-upper (often, plus tons at a time, would easily fill a burp cloth) and I really needed a second pack. For us these were a total necessity. If you did not really use them (like one poster had a baby who did not spit up), you could always use them later to clean up baby after he eats, or as changing pads, or whatever. I've heard of people using them as dust/cleaning rags when their babies were done with them.

Lap pads/sheet savers (I'll put them together because really you could use on or the other for all these uses)- I do use. Have one lap pad on changing table like the others, to keep the terry cover cleaner longer. Nice for diaper bags or an alternate changing place. right now I am pg with 4th and have one downstairs with some wipes and diapers so I don't have to carry my 19mo old upstairs to change her every time. These are nice if you do have a spit-upper to lay under their head when they sleep. Or when baby's sick and may throw up or have diarrhea, etc. With my first we had spells where his diaper would leak alot, and used one in the crib then. I also take one along on trips. Like when we are at my parents, I keep my diaper bag packed (with just the stuff needed on an outing), and pack all my diapers and wipes plus a pad in a bigger bag for use while we are there.

Changing pads- We have a terry cover for the flat cushy pad that came with the table. Most of my diaper bags came with one, that I use when out. A few small bags (like the free ones from the hospital) did not come with pads and I use a lap pad in those.

Mattress pads- I have a vinyl, waterproof liner on the mattress that goes over the whole mattress and zips up. I was wary about cushy or quilted ones in the beginning since they always stress having a flat, hard surface for baby to sleep on (because of SIDS), so I never got one. They always slept fine. Always seemed like something else to have to wash when the diaper leaked to me! But some people do seem to like them alot.

Good luck!
Kristen