PDA

View Full Version : How often do you use the play pen feature of pack and plays?

Laila
07-01-2003, 10:15 AM
We ordered and recieved the full size arms reach co-sleeper. I think it is just too big, to heavy, and immobile.

The smaller one would be ideal, accept it does not turn into a play pen. I do not like the idea of keeping my babe in a play pen for over 20 minute periods. So my question is, do you find use for the play pen. Like does it come in handy for a place to put kid for just 10 minutes? Or when other kids are at your house? Or for trips to grandma's?

stillplayswithbarbies
07-01-2003, 10:57 AM
We have the pack n play in the living room. She takes naps in there, and I also use it as a safe place to put her for a minute or two, like if my back will be turned doing something or if I take a phone call that needs my attention, or I need to go upstairs to get something and come right back.

But the best thing about it is for travel. We have not done this yet with her, but with my first baby the pack n play went with us to grandmas house so we had a place for her to nap and sleep.

I would say get the smaller cosleeper and then get a separate pack n play for other uses.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

mom2kandj
07-01-2003, 11:12 AM
Some kids don't mind playing in the PNP, but mine hated it! They preferred an exersaucer if they had to be confined, or I put up baby gates to keep them in one room. We bought two PNPs, one for my mom's house(lives in another state and uses it as a crib when we visit) and one for us to use for travel and going to the other grandmas house. Because our kids used the PNPs so little, we have left both PNPs at the grandmas' houses. As for travel, we have found that most hotels now provide PNPs as cribs. If a PNP is not available, we now just get two beds in our hotel room and we each sleep with one child(our kids are a little bit older and SIDS is not a concern). The PNP just did not work out for us as it took up too much space, was bulky and took too much space in the car for travel, and our kids never really liked it. OTOH, my BF takes hers to the beach and her little ones always have somewhere clean and nonsandy to hang out. HTH!

Rose
mom 2 Katie (31 months)
& Jack (14 months)

Andrea S
07-01-2003, 02:20 PM
I have only used our pnp for sleeping when traveling.

BTW, your due date is Andrew's 1st B-day :)

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

Momof3Labs
07-01-2003, 04:50 PM
We have dogs, so we used it as a safe place for Colin to play when we couldn't be with him (e.g. potty breaks for us or the dogs). It also kept the dogs out of his toys. He wouldn't be in there for long - maybe 15 minutes once or twice a day - and still enjoys discovering his toys in there for short periods of time. It also comes in handy as a place to "park" him when we are getting ready to run out the door, since Colin outgrew his infant seat at 3.5 months.

I wouldn't live without one, personally! But most people can, I think.

candybomiller
07-01-2003, 07:16 PM
We couldn't have lived without it. Before our house was completely baby-proofed, we used to park ds in there whenever he needed a break. He loved being in his p-n-p, but I didn't like to keep him in there for longer than necessary. Though I do have to admit that there has been a time or two that he's woken up in the middle of the night with no interest in sleeping that he's gone in the p-n-p for a while to watch a baby einstein video. I know, I'm a bad, bad mommy! Sometimes, it's necessary for survival - both his and mine. :)

Candy
Mommy to Matt
5/22/02

MinnieMouse
07-02-2003, 09:26 AM
We used the arm's reach co sleeper (we got the newer model w/ more level adjustments) with dd for the first 6mo until she started climbing. Then we dropped the mattress to the bottom and moved the cosleeper to the living room.

Dd was in it VERY rarely, mostly when she fell asleep in the car and we transferred her there...I think once for a full nap. After about 3-4mo we took it down and stored it....would much rather use the real estate in the living room for her toys.

HTH

Christine

peanut4us
07-03-2003, 12:46 PM
We haven't used it at all yet... the actual play pen part. We have used the changing table since the beginning. It is set up in our bedroom and we keep the basinet part up all the time, not for baby but we keep supplies in it so it is right next to the changing pad... diapers, burp cloths, blankets, etc.

I anticipate that I will really start using it in the fall when i want to work outside... she can be in the pen on the deck and I won't have to worry as much about fire ants getting her etc.

Bearhut
06-02-2004, 03:43 PM
We use ours all the time. Since the PNP is set up downstairs, we used the changing table at the beginning to supplement the one upstairs. Then we'd use the basinet for travel or when Grandma stayed over and wanted her in the guest room. Now she loves to stand in the Play Pen part. She is good for twenty minutes or so just standing up and looking around. Sometimes she drops down and plays with her toys, but not often. It's been great for us.

Heather (mother to K 10/03)

sarsah
06-02-2004, 06:57 PM
The most used part of our pack&play was the changing table feature. When DS#1 was very little he did sleep in the bassinette part, but really never liked to be in the play pen. I did put him in there for a few minutes if I needed to do something that I didn't want him to get into or run downstairs and get the laundry, etc., but it was pretty much a huge toy storage place. We moved when DS#1 was 14 months old and really didn't use the P&P after that. We babyproofed certain rooms and used gates instead.

With DS#2, I used the bassinette a few times and the changing table some. I only put DS#2 in the playpen once (took it outside and put him in it while we were cleaning the garage). I do use it sometimes when I babysit my friends children and night and they fall asleep in it. Other than that I really don't use it.

My mom bought one (just the pack & play -- no other features) to use at her house for the kids to sleep in when we visit.

Sarah.....mom to Jason (5/25/00) & Devin (5/12/03)

ohiomom
06-05-2004, 02:37 PM
I borrowed 2 that were barely used -- not recalled of course!(one benefit of being an older mom... friends and family trying to clear out basements and attics!)DD slept in bassinet feature for 4 months and then around 6 months I moved it to the kitchen so she could play while I cooked, cleaned up kitchen or we finished dinner. I think you need to start using it fairly early before they get mobile. She's often fussing as I try to put her in it now, but she then relaxes and plays w/her toys. I don't know what I'd do w/out it since our kitchen is an enclosed space and the floor is hard and cold. We reserve our exersaucer (also borrowed) for our showers so she doesn't get too sick of being in it.

Nicole's Mom 07/30/03